Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

The next day I woke up and couldn't take my mind off the dream.  What could it mean? I thought to myself.  My dreams always meant something to me, like a foreshadowing.  I understand what the voice behind me meant, but what did it have to do with Harry and why was he telling me that my demons would find me?

I shook it out of my mind and got dressed for the day.  Back into the same boring shit, I thought to myself.  As I slipped into my black school top and plaid skirt, my phone vibrated.  

Just wanted to make sure you were up!  See you at school!  -Mary Elise

I smiled, set my phone back down on my bed and made my way downstairs.  I went straight for the fridge and started to make my daily breakfast: a acai berry smoothie and a hard boiled egg.  I was drinking the smoothie as the water started to boil when I heard my father's footsteps coming down the stairs.  

"Hey Bethany," he said as he walked past me to get the coffeemaker started.  

"Hey, Dad," I replied as the water started to boil.  

"Did you sleep well?" he asked as he put the coffee grounds in the filter.  The aroma of the coffee made me want to get a cup of it myself.

"Ehh.  I had a nightmare," I said.  "Can I have a cup of your coffee?"

"Sure.  I'm sorry you had a nightmare.  Was it bad?"

"Not really," I lied.  It terrified me.  "It just freaked me out."

"Oh," he said.  While the water was still boiling, I decided to go upstairs and grab my phone.  As I walked upstairs, I kept thinking about the dream.  It still was unclear to me on why Harry was in my dream.

What could he have to do with my life?  He's just a kid in my Anatomy class.  Nothing important.

I opened the door to my room and walked over to my back pack.  I found my iPhone in my pencil bag and started to flip through my artists.  I selected Blood On The Dance Floor and started to play their Bad Blood album on shuffle.  I put one headphone in my ear and went back downstairs.

When I returned, the water was furiously boiling.  I went into the fridge, selected my egg, and gently set it in the water.  My father was sitting down at the small table reading his paper and drinking his coffee.  My cup of coffee was across from him on the other side of the table.  I sat myself down and started to sip my coffee.  It was black coffee with a little bit of french vanilla creamer in it.  

We sat there in silence as we drank our coffee.  He read his paper, I listened to the lyrics of Mourning Star.

I know I'll never be alone, I'll always keep you in this song, No matter where I go, You'll still be with me when you're gone.

For me, music was always a release.  I could listen to it and always pour my soul into a song.  When I listen to a song, I always think of all the different interpretations for the lyrics.  One meaning of Mourning Star could be a breakup or losing someone to death.  For me, the way I interpret it is the loss of someone's true self.  

I must have been getting engrossed into the music because my father smacked me with the paper to get my attention.  I ripped the other headphone out and asked what the hit was for.

"Look at the time," he said gesturing towards the clock above the stove.  It read eight thirty, time for me to go to school.  That's the thing I like about Bridgewood, school starts at nine thirty.  I shut the stove off and threw the egg in the garbage.  What a waste.