Chapter Four; An Unwanted Surprise.

I walked for blocks looking for the two boys, backtracking a few times just to make sure they weren’t hiding. 

“Hey. Hey!” 

I turned around. It was the girl that had helped me before, she was standing a few feet behind me. 

“Yeah?” I asked, pausing to listen to what she had to say. 

She smiled and looked down, where Jake and Jean were standing. They were clinging to her pant legs as if they’d seen a ghost. 

“Jake, Jean! Where have you been?” Scolded Elicia from my arms. I grinned, setting her down. The girl came and stood next to me, a little closer than I felt comfortable with. 

“They walked back by my family’s bookstore a little while ago, so I went to find you.” She said, smiling at me from under her hair. Her sunglasses were gone, replaced by dark eye makeup. 

“Thank you, I really owe you for this. If there’s anything I can do, just let me know.” I said, then realized I hadn’t told her my name and added;

“I’m Kio, by the way. That’s my name.” 

“Oh, I’m Sarah. Sarah Darcie...” 

I waited for her to finish, it seemed like she had more to say. 

“You said that you would do anything for me right?”

“To some degree. I can’t do something impossible.”

She laughed and locked eye’s with me. 

“Uh... Why do you ask?” I choked, a bit disturbed by the look she was giving. 

“Just because I thought of something I’d like you to do for me.” 

“Like wh-” I stopped. Her face was less than an inch away from mine.

“What are you doing?” I asked, trying to back up. 

“I’m using that favor you gave me.” she said, taking a step closer. 

Before I knew it, I was kissing a girl I didn’t know, in the middle of a street, in front of three six-year-olds. She pressed herself against me, her hands moving from around my neck to resting on my chest as she pulled away. I looked down at Elicia and the two boys, only to find them staring back at me. 

“Uh... I...” I began, turning to Sarah. She smiled, waiting for me to continue.

“What... what the damn hell was that for!?” I demanded, lifting Elicia into my arms. 

“I liked you, so I did what I what I wanted to.” She said, looking at her nails and acting as if I was being petty. 

I turned and walked away, ushering Jake and Jean towards the orphanage. 

“Why were you kissing her?” asked Elicia as we walked. 

“She kissed me, I didn’t want her to.” I said angrily. She looked down and I could see she was upset. I stopped and set her down. 

“Alright you three, what is it you want to say?” I asked, kneeling on the sidewalk. The all just looked at their shoes until Jean spoke up. 

“We’re sorry we went out on our own, it was just weird without you there. We missed you...” He said, as Jake nodded and Elicia started to cry. She ran over to me and grasped my shirt, holding on as if for dear life. I pulled her into a hug and wiped her face with the back of my hand. 

“I’m sorry, I wasn’t angry with you guys. I was glad that you were going to pay me a visit, just don’t go out without someone older than you, alright?” I said, standing up. They gave me a few small smiles and nodded. 

“Alright then, lets get home before dinner. You know Doris must be worried by now.”

Once we were back, the only thing I wanted to do was go to sleep. Therefore I played the being tired from being passed out for a week card which got me out of dinner duty. I sighed and sat on my bed, hoping that tomorrow wasn’t going to be quite as hectic. I opened my laptop and turned it on, checking the calender for my collage classes. It started in a month, and to tell the truth, I wasn’t ready for it. I shut it off and plugged my phone into the wall to charge. 

“Kio, there’s a girl here to see you she said you know her...” I heard. I almost fell over running to the intercom. 

“What!? What does she look like?” I exclaimed. 

“She’s very pretty with long black hair and beautiful green eye’s...” I’m sure Doris went on, but I knew it wasn’t Anamarie so I shut it out. It had to be Sarah. 

“Tell her I’m not here, tell her I moved to another state or something.” I said tiredly, shutting the intercom off. I went to my bed and laid down, putting my arm over my face and contemplating what happened today until I fell asleep.

When I woke, there was something in the bed next to me. I sat up and looked over to the side of my bed, and saw a person. 

“Sarah!?” I exclaimed, stumbling out of bed. She opened her eyes and looked up at me. 

“Oh, Kio your finally up...” she said, “Last night you slept through everything.” 

Everything? What did that mean? It couldn’t...

“What do you mean.” I demanded. 

“Well, when I came over last night, they told me that you had moved somewhere else. So I went walking and found this little shed and decided to poke around a little, and I saw you in the window. Then I just came in and when I tried to wake you up you just kept on sleeping.” she said, sitting up. As she did, the covers of my bed slipped down revealing her pajamas... or should I say her silk underwear. I threw the covers over her and grabbed my phone out of the wall. I was about to turn it on when she threw herself on me. 

“What’s wrong?” she asked, “Don’t you want to see me...” 

“No.” I said shoving her off and picking up my still packed bag and my phone, iPod and laptop and walking out the door of the shed. 

“When I come back, you’d better be gone.” I said, slamming the door behind me. 

I walked until I found a bus stop and decided to sit for a while. According to the map on the wall of the stop, I had wandered into the next district. Now that I was less angry, it was obvious how tired and sick I felt. 

“Kio, is that you?” I heard. I almost jumped up and ran when Anamarie stopped in front of me. 

I stared at her, not knowing what to say. I wrapped my arms around her small, thin waist and pulled her into a hug. 

“Where have you been? I was worried I wouldn’t see you again.” I admitted. She pushed me off. 

“Kio, please don’t...” she said quietly. 

“I’m sorry.” I said, “I don’t know what came over me.” 

She gave me a tired smile. 

“You can’t go back home, can you?” she asked, looking me in the eye. I nodded. 

She sighed. 

“Alright, come with me. I’ll take you to a friend of mine’s place. He’s not there right now, so we won’t need to worry.” 

“Wait, what do you mean we?” I asked. 

“I’m already staying there, my Uncle is away on business and he doesn’t like me to be there alone.” she said, leading the way down a green, tree lined road.