Chapter Three

Alyssa sat outside her old, run down house, on the first step to the front porch, the chilly wind blowing around her, but she felt immobile. She watched the world around her, wondering how she could have become so detached from it. Something in her was missing, but she didn't know what. The wind died down, and more fog settled into the space. She shook her head, still unable to place exactly what was missing. She heard slow footsteps grinding on the dirt and rocks around the side of her house, and she stood up cautiously, her blue eyes narrowed in suspicion. The black heels that she wore clicked on the ground as she turned around the yellow wood paneled side of her house. The footsteps had faded, making Alyssa's heart pound in anxiety, so she continued around the side of her house, coming to the fence, the green and yellow grass of her back yard beginning to crunch under her feet. She unlatched the lock to the gate on the rickety old brown wood fence, pushing it open, its iron hinges shrieking loudly. She held still when she saw the man from the mirror standing near the old oak tree near the back fence of her house.

He faced the tree, his usual black trench coat swaying in the cold air. He wore long black dress pants and black dress shoes, and growing out from the edges of the black trench coat that he wore, she could see that his shirt was white. His black hair was slicked back as usual, except for a few strands that fell around the side of his pale face. His hands were pushed deep into the pockets of his pants, and he did not face her.

Alyssa's chest tightened in terror again, yet a sense of wonder filled her. She found her feet walking towards the man, her steps obviously loud, yet he didn't turn to look at her.

"Excuse me..." she spoke as she came close to the man. "May I ask what you're doing on my property?" Alyssa turned around to see if anyone was watching, but when she looked back to interrogate the man, but with a skip of fear in her heart, she saw that he was gone. Her hands became clammy, and she ran back around to the front of the yard, just in time to see Jared walking out of the house.

"Oh good god," Jared sighed in relief, smiling at his sister. "I was about to go look for you. Where have you been, Alyssa?" Alyssa felt the tears bubbling over her eyes and tumbling down her cheeks. She felt her lips trembling in fear, yet she could not speak a word of what she had seen to her brother.

"I...I've been looking at the old oak tree," Alyssa choked out. Jared's blue eyes narrowed, as if her could see through his sister's lies.

"Answer me honestly, Alyssa," Jared spoke in a low, worried voice. "Where have you been?"

"I..." Alyssa sobbed. "I've been with Zak." That was a good enough lie. Surely Jared would believe her.

"Oh," Jared looked down, his eyes boiling in anger. He ran a hand through his hair and scuffed a foot on the ground. Alyssa buried her face in her hands as the fear overwhelmed her, and she ran inside the house. She hurried into the kitchen, pushing through the oak wooden door to the dinky little kitchen she had become so used to. She opened up the cabinet on her left, yanking a small glass cup off of the first shelf. She stomped over to the metal sink, and she pulled on the cold handle, letting semi-cold water pump into the glass from the head of the sink. She turned off the sink and chugged the water. A drop of water trailed out of her mouth and down her chin, and she wiped it off with the back of her hand. She heard Jared's footsteps storming into the house behind her, and she turned, bracing herself against the counter as he stormed into the kitchen.

"Alyssa, I don't understand why you are acting like this," Jared spoke in a voice trembling with hurt and confusion. "Tell me what is going on."

"You'd think I was insane if I told you," Alyssa argued, shaking her head. Her hands gripped the edge of the counter behind her, her knuckles turning white from her tight grip.