Chapter one

1

Fright

-modern day-

The alarm went off in Alyssa Riets' bedroom. She groaned and rolled over, slapping the off button on her pink alarm clock. She sat up and stretched, yawning widely and scratching the top of her head. It was an unusually sunny day in Duskin, Nebraska. The sun seemed to slip through the window of Alyssa's bedroom, filling the room with dry, hot air. Alyssa laid back down in her comfortable bed for one more moment, the scent of sweet blossoms from the huge oak tree outside the house filling her room. Her serene, peaceful moment didn't last long, though.

"Alyssa, you lazy bum!" Her brother, Jared Riets' yelled. "Get up already! We have to open the store!" She sighed and got out of her bed, her rib length, long blonde hair falling around her face and shoulders. She rubbed her nose with her knuckles, the pollen in the air sifting into her room and making her nose tickle, even though she had no allergies to any sort of plant. She removed her pajamas and pulled on a pair of blue jeans and a purple collared shirt. She slid slender black boots onto her feet, over her jeans. She pulled her hair back into a pony tail and made her way to the bathroom. The house she and her brother lived in was quaint and small, built around 1907, but it has last been refurbished around the seventies, when her grandparents had first owned the house. Alyssa liked the funky decorations that still hung on the walls of the hallways, and covered the creaky wooden floors, as they hadn't changed, so were slightly antique.

"Alyssa!" Jared thundered, roaring up the creaking old stairs of their small house. "It's nine thirty! We open the store in fifteen minutes!" She looked and him and picked up her tooth brush, squirting toothpaste onto the bristles of the brush. Her brother and her had always been close, though they did tend to argue over silly things. Jared seemed to always be in a rush to get things done, whether it be to open the store or fix a piece of furniture that had broken near the leg. Alyssa took things at a much slower pace. She liked to enjoy things, and take things in quietly, although she did have a sharp sense of humor that always aggravated her brother. She turned to face the mirror in the bathroom and brushed her teeth. Her brother stood there, in a blue collared shirt, khaki shorts and black boots.

"Alyssa!" He shrieked. She spit out the green foam into the sink and rinsed her mouth.

"What, do you want me to have dragon breath when I greet our customers? Or perhaps you are hoping I'll get a cavity?" She challenged in a slow voice. Her brother pulled on his blonde hair and shut his blue eyes tightly. "Chill out. It is our store. We have the liberty of opening it when we feel like it, don't we?" She smirked and trotted down the stairs. She walked through the hallway, which seemed narrow and constricting to most people who came to their house, but it felt snug and safe to Alyssa. She turned into the swinging door to the kitchen, the hinges creaking, making her pause and touch the iron hinges.

"Hmm...we need to put oil on those," she scratched her neck, as oil seemed as expensive as everything else these days, maybe even more so. She estimated a small bottle of Fritmen oil, the local oil and number one seller in Duskin, at about twenty dollars for a bottle that held about eighteen ounces. She sighed, seeing her pocket money fly out the window. So much for new tennis shoes. She continued into the rest of the kitchen, maneuvering around the small white kitchen table, and making her way to the red oak colored cabinets. She opened the one over the oven and grabbed a small, plastic red cup, turning to her right and sticking it under the faucet, filling the cup with water. As she slowly drank the water, she reached into the pantry and grabbed a small bread roll, the rosemary sower dough kind that she loved. She finished her water and set the cup in the sink to wash when she got home, biting into the bread and walking out of the kitchen. She continued down the hallway, walking into the small entry way and opening the white front door. She stepped down onto the small wood floored porch and lumbered down the steps. Alyssa smirked when she heard clattering and crashing coming from inside the house as she turned to see the front door fly open.