Big new world

Chapter 40: Big new world

“I knew it,” Skye whispered, seeming to stare through me. “I knew if even before she didn't react to the knockout gas. I just didn't realized you'd gotten to her already.”

I jumped, as Skye began to trace her pinkie finger across my right cheek. At first I had no idea what she was doing, but then I raised my hand to feel the area she'd indicated. Underneath the new injuries Romeo had inflicted, there was something older; a thin pink scar, that had once gushed blood. With memories of the long forgotten injury, came memories of the events that had surrounded it. Running through the streets in the dead of night, jumping at every sound. If it hadn't been for this scar, I never would have gone back to Jason's, I never would have put him in danger, and we never would have become friends.

As if he'd read my mind, Chaz said, “your friend was one too, Jason. We were trying to get a sample of his blood too, just to make sure, but we never got the chance. When the two of you went into that government building things started moving to fast, and we lost you.”

So that's what purpose the scar had served. They'd been taking a sample.

“He was one what? What the hell am I?” I as trying to keep my voice steady, but panic was again beginning to creep up on me.

“You're a resistant Nance, all of us are, except those two.” Chaz gestured between Dustin and Drew.

“What's a resistant?” I asked.

“It's the reason why you were marked.”

I was about to demand more of an explanation when the van suddenly began to swerve. Still holding onto my handle, my body lifted almost completely off the seat.

“Although I'd love for you to inform Nance on exactly what a resistant is. Do you really think this is the best time?” Drew grunted, from the other side of the vehicle. “I'd really appreciate knowing what was going on outside. Don't think I don't recognize those panels. I know you have exterior screens.”

Chaz nodded. “Good point. Nance, I'm sorry but we'll have to continue this conversation later.”

I was about to protest, but the panels, as Drew had called them, were already flaring to life. They showed camera feeds of what was going on outside the van, from all angles. The first thing I noticed, was that we were part of a chain, a long precession of identical armored trucks, that lined both sides of an unknown road. Filling up the interior of the road were cars, twenty-first century cars. They were protected, on all sides, by their armored escorts. Above us, winged helicopters hovered, a spinning turbine on each side of the cabin.

“Whoa,” Dustin whispered, “this is intense.”

He threw a look at Chaz and I began to wonder if he would warship this man like he'd once worshiped Alec. I hoped not. Although Chaz had been nothing but good, he was the same type as Alec, and that was dangerous.

“Has there been any resistance on the EUP's part?” Drew asked, scrutinizing the screens.

“A little,” Chaz admitted, “but the duel blades have mostly taken care of it, before they reached the convoy.”

“Good job,” Drew congratulated him. “You Unites know what you're doing.”

“We'll thank you,” Chaz said, in a mock joke voice. “It's nice to hear that at least one of the mighty WUIA appreciates our contributions.”

Drew shook his head. “I know you were counting on me to bring in the cooperation of the WUIA, but I don't know if I'm going back. While I was stationed it the city, I had a lot of time to think. I still believe in the Triple U, and that it's government is the best hope North America has, but the WUIA's not what it used to be. If you knew half the things that go on there, you'd think of poorly of us as you do the EUP operatives.”