Skye Blue *

Chapter 14: Skye Blue

She sat facing me, patiently watching. What time was it? Why hadn't she woken me? Feeling exposed, splayed across the table like this, I hastily slid back into my seat.

“Feeling fresh?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded. “You let me sleep?”

A little bit of a smile pulled at the corner of her lip. It was strange. It scared me.

“I figured you needed it.”

Suddenly my cover story came rushing back to me. I didn't know why I was here. I clenched and unclenched the muscles in my face, trying to prepare for whatever was coming.

“Why am I here anyways, Miya?” I asked. “I mean, I blew up a car, but he was marked, I was marked.”

I was surprised by how natural I sounded. I could also see that, no matter how well she hid it, the purposeful use of her first name had had an effect.

“It's not what you did, it's what you used to do it.”

This was the tricky part. This is where I had to lie, about trying to lie.

“What do you mean?”

“You know exactly what we mean Nance. We already talked to your friend Dustin Storse. Took a bit of prompting, but he gave you up. Take my advice, that boy's bad news. You could have turned out a good kid, I see that now.”

Why was she being so nice? Was it good cop, or was it something else? My thoughts automatically went to Jason. Was he still with Miya, or was he back with Alec. I honestly didn't know which one would be safer right now.

“Nice to know, but I'm still confused.” I rubbed my eyes groggily.

Miya leaned forwards across the table, forcibly meeting my eyes. “Don't bullshit me Nance. You knew full well what Dustin was mixed up in, where he got the materials for the bomb. You might even be more involved than that.”

“I had nothing to do with the government building,” I grunted, then regretted it.

To admit that I had knowledge of Alec's group this soon might be pushing it. What I said was true though. I might be working with them, but I—in no way—condoned what they'd done. I was just thankful she and Arch were alright, and not just for Jason's sake, although that made no sense. I didn't even know her. But after hearing Jason talk about her again and again, it almost felt like I did.

The regret must have shown on my face, for Miya smiled at me. Yes, I could make this oops thing work.

Letting my shoulders slump, I flopped back in my chair. “Give me a break, it's three o'clock in the morning.”

Miya shook her head, slowly. “Four-thirty actually. You just made my job a lot easier. I'm just glad I stayed up all night for a reason.”

I placed my face in my non-cuffed palm, and made a sound. “So, are you going to send me to prison or not? I'm tired.”

Miya's face was suddenly deadly serious again, like it had been the first day. “You know you're not going to the city jail, right?”

“I assumed.”

She nodded, then walked around to my side of the table. A few clicks on my wrist-band and the force holding me to the table released. She slid another cuff over my other arm, and magnetized them together behind my back.

“Let's go.” She guided me gently, a hand on my shoulder, down a flight of stairs and through an intimidating metal door.

It must have been nearing morning when I finally saw the prison. My comfortable clothes were gone, replaced with unisex underwear, a sports bra, and a light blue jumpsuit. I could literally feel the bags below my eyes, and I was hovering on the edge of unconsciousness. Thankfully, they didn't put me in any type of weird body scan. After seeing me strip down, they seemed content. To their credit, who would expect a fake skin?