Chapter 16

Nothing was said. The silence was heavy in the air. It seemed as though all time had stopped and no voices could be heard. The only real sound was the wind through the trees. As if the plants around us were whispering and rustling with excitement – wondering what was going to happen next. I wanted so badly to know what they would be saying.

The intruder stood several yards away from me. But it felt so much closer. Like they were standing toe-to-toe with me, testing me, pushing my limits. Griffin seemed to upset and knowing him, he wouldn’t come searching for me for hours. I closed my eyes in despair, but only for a moment. Keeping my eyes closed for more than a second seemed stupid.

Slowly the individual came towards me. With every step they made, my heart sped up. Thump……thump……thump……thump…thump…thump…thump… thump-thump …thump-thump…thum-thum…thum-thum… My heart slammed against my ribcage. This was worse than when I was ambushed in my own room.

They stopped just a few feet from me. Timidly I held my ground.

“Hello.”

The voice was somewhat welcoming, but there were knives hiding behind it. A small smile was on their face, but I knew not to trust it. My eyes looked over the person in front of me. Their skin was perfectly smooth and flawless. The hair on their head was jet black and long.

“Hello,” I answered, eyeing the person in front of me.

The lips on her face curled up into a bigger, darker smile.

“You know who I am, don’t you?” She asked me, batting her long lashes in a way that made me feel small in her presence.

“Somewhat…I’m afraid I don’t know your name.”

She tilted her head up slightly in a snobby manor.

“Figures. Well not like it matters. Now,” she walked past me, bumping into my shoulder with hers, “Where’s Griffin? I’m here for him.”

“I don’t know where he’s at.”

Which was true. He went somewhere else to cool off.

She whipped around and gave me a hard look that was just short of a glare.

“So what’re you?” She asked, “Some servant? That’d be awfully hard for him to hire, seeing how he can’t leave. Then you must be some sort of a beggar. Certainly have the looks for it.”

I narrowed my eyes.

“Actually we’re—”

The front door of the house opened and out came Griffin.

“—Callie, I—” He started, then froze. An awkward silence came onto all of us. The girl turned to him and smirked.

“Hello Griffin,” She said in a flirty tone.

He just stood there, his eyes moving from me to her. Using intense speed, she was beside Griffin, her arms handing around his neck and her lips just below his chin.

“Come now baby,” She said, glancing at me arrogantly, “I haven’t seen you in so long. Let’ revisit the bedroom.”

And suddenly they were gone, leaving me there outside.

 *******                                       

 Once minute I was standing outside with Callie and the next I was shoved onto the bed, her on top of me. My eyelids moved up and down swiftly, causing me to blink. She placed her hands on my bare chest and looked down at me. Her long eyelashes batted themselves like butterfly wings.