Chapter 12

Carefully I peeked open my eyes to the warmly lit room. The morning light filled every crevice. I felt as though I was an insomniac who just took the nap of a lifetime. There was a weight on my side, not something painfully heavy, but still there. Looking over I faced Griffin, who was fast asleep. Even though he was passed out the vampire still looked exhausted. His arm was draped around me, keeping my body close to his. His cool breath danced on my skin and I blushed slightly. I tried to remember how we got here. But things seemed blurry in my mind.

I couldn’t remember a single thing.

My fingers crept up to my neck, finding bandages and gauzes wrapped firmly around me. I could feel my arms and legs had some, too. This was all so confusing. What on earth happened? Griffin didn’t hurt me, did he? He was always so irritated but I doubt he’d do something like this to me…right?

My mind drifted to Trudy and everyone else. They were probably home and wondering where I was at. I needed to show them I was home. Maybe throw on a turtle-neck sweater and jeans to cover the bandages.

Slowly I tried to shuffle out from the covers and his arm without waking the vampire. But the movements were too much. He groaned slightly and opened his eyes just a crack.

“Callie?” He mumbled, lifting his head a few inches, “Where’re you going?”

His hair was tousled and his face held a tired expression.

“Shh,” I said quietly, “I have to go.”

“No,” He said firmly, putting his arm more around me and pulling me close to him, “Stay here.”

“Why?” I asked. Things started coming back to me. Memories of a creature who had taken me from my room. Right before I…

What had happened to me? How’d I get here? What happened to the vampire? Did Griffin take me back to the house? Where was my ‘family’? Did they know I was missing?

But one was more important than all the rest.

Why wasn’t I dead?

“I said so,” He said, closing his eyes.

“Griffin,” I shook my head, “I have to go. What if Trudy wonders where I am?”

“I don’t think she’s home. And if so, she’ll live.” He said flatly, with a small smirk on his face.

“Griffin…”

“You heard me.”

“Fine,” I plopped down next to him, “A few more minutes.”

“Hours,” He responded, eyes still closed.

I looked over his face. All those features, all of those perfect features. It seemed amazing that he was even real. But something was bothering me. My mind thought more about what happened. Everything seemed so vague. But I remembered arms around me. Not like what the vampire had done. It was caring. Something the monster who attacked me was incapable of. I chewed on my bottom lip anxiously.

“Griffin?”

“Hm.”

He sounded pretty tired. But I had to ask him this question.

“Why…” I sighed and closed my eyes, almost afraid to ask him, “Why the change of heart?”

The bed shifted and I peeked my eyes open. He was propped up on one elbow, his eyes looking down at me. Neither of us said anything for a few moments. It seemed like he was trying to build up the courage to speak.

“The truth is…” He swallowed, seeming rather nervous, “The truth is I liked you. From the moment I saw you…” He looked like if he could, Griffin would be blushing right now, “I lost my breath.”