Chapter 14

The night was long. Normally I slept well, but even with Callie beside me, I felt haunted. Images of gnashing teeth against flesh, crawls against internal organs, and venom being injected into veins kept in my mind. No matter how hard I tried they stayed there. Normally I wouldn’t have been effected by fights with other vampires. Fact, I’d have a wonderful victorious sleep. But tonight was different.

When I had entered the chamber, the first thing I laid eyes on was Callie sitting in the corner. Her skin had been scratched, bit, and scrapped on the cold floor. Her neck was completely exposed and had venom seeping out of it, making her flesh burn and force her to whimper in pain. The expression on her face was someone who was desperate to die. To make their suffering finished once and for all.

When the alpha male vampire revealed himself to me, I lost it. Never had I been so angry and so out of control. My violent, animalistic urges showed themselves. I had no doubt I did serious overkill to this monster. But in my mind, he deserved every bit of it. The light from the moon shone through the window and lit up the bedroom. Rolling onto my side, I looked at Callie. Her frail features showed brilliantly in the moonlight. Her long, rich brown hair shimmered wonderfully. How could she have possibly thought she was ugly?

I swallowed hard.

Did I make her feel that way? Letting out a sigh I rolled onto my back. There was so much I needed to make up for. I still needed to make up my mind. Was it best to let Adrian take her away?

If he did I would never be able to see her again. It would be as if Callie had never existed. As my eyes looked over her, I thought back to right before we went to bed…

... “Griffin?”

“Hm?”

I turned around from the sink to see her leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed, just like how I would be. She had on a pair of my boxers and was wearing one of my t-shirts. Really she didn’t ask, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like it. A mischievous, questioning smirk was on her face. “What’s that look for?” I asked happily, turning around and spitting the toothpaste out of my mouth.

She smiled and shook her head.

“You’re brushing your teeth?”

“Hey, even vampires have to keep white smiles!” I responded defensively.

She rolled her eyes.

“Whatever,” She said.

My eyes moved to the bandages on her arms, making me grimace. Callie frowned and looked down to see what was upsetting me. Her eyes, however, fell on her clothes. “Oh, um, I should have asked,” She said with a red face, “I’ll put them back.”

“No,” I responded quickly, “It’s not that.”

She gave me a quizzical look, then it clicked.

“Oh.”

I nodded and yawned. Callie smiled and shook her head.  “Awwh, is the vampire tired?” She mocked playfully. In the blink of an eye we were lying on the bed with me on top of Callie. She looked at me, stunned. “How did you—?”

I grinned mischievously.

“Intense vampire speed. It has its perks.”

She rolled her eyes.

“You’re a dork.”

I frowned and pressed both of my hands on each side of her and did a push up; making it easy to lean back and look at her.

“I’m a…what?”

“A dork, you know…” She sighed, “Never mind.”

“Alright…”