Loving what you do

Even though my weekend was a bit rough, it was one of the best weekends I've ever had because I learnt a valuable lesson, -to love what I do.

I postponed doing all what I'm supposed to do till Sunday. I spent Saturday first crying about who knows what, then lying on my bed doing nothing for almost two hours, and then watching TV. I had Qur'anic classes to attend that weekend, but because I was being unserious with it, my Qur'anic memorization was a bit messy and hard -I was forgetting my verses.

But one incredible thing happened. On Sunday, I decided to stop lying around and wasting time and do what I'm supposed to do. I read my school books for two hours -one of the longest two hours I've ever gone through, and after that, I realized that I was happy. I realized that I loved what I do -whether it's reading my books, memorizing my Qur'an, etc., even if it was hard.

Also, I started to realize that I'll be going off to college soon, and I'll miss these little things I do that spice up my life. The times of coming back from school after a stressful day, and doing my assignment on my study table that is directly in front of my window, enjoying the view. The times of attending my Islamic classes, being with my Muslim sisters, and learning the Qur'an. The times of being with my family, watching TV together, or talking about random stuff, fighting each other, and being each other's best friends. The times of having, as another family, my class mates, and talking about everything, laughing at each other's stupid mistakes, and doing things together.

I have to start appreciating the little things in life and start seeing the good moments in everything I do and everywhere I go. I've got to start loving life.

Also, we've got to start realizing the importance of every good we do in our lives and how it has the power to change the world no matter how little it is. Maybe you cheered a waitress up in a restaurant by your good manners; you don't know how many people you've prevented her from being angry at. You don't even know maybe because of what you've done for her, she started working harder and got promoted in her place of work. We shouldn't hesitate to smile at someone, compliment them, do an anonymous act of good deed, give charity, etc., because we don't know how that little act can change the world.

So we should always love just living our life the way it is, and build up the best lives for ourselves, and love what we do. It's not every time that we can do what we love, but in order to be proactive, we've got to love what we do. Also, we've got to keep reminding ourselves the benefits of doing something good and not lose focus. We've got to keep reminding ourselves how good it feels to do something good no matter how hard it may be. And we should finally love and enjoy every moment of our lives, because we wouldn't have the opportunity to go through it again, no matter how bad we may want it. We've got to hold on to the memories, whether good or bad, in order to be able to learn from them.

Life may be crazy, out of sync and even frustrating sometimes but all we have to do is to sieve out the good, savour the good and make sure the bad doesn't affect us. We've gotta hold on to the rope of Allah and not let go.

Someone once said: when Allah says 'don't', it means 'don't hurt yourself'.

And finally, always, always stand for what you believe in.