4. This Is Going to Hurt

STILES POV

“It's two bands, right? What does it mean?” Derek asks, running his fingers over Scott’s bicep where his tattoo had previously been etched.

Scott and I had gone over to Derek’s old abandoned house after Scott figured out that Derek may be able to help with his tattoo problem. He had remembered that Derek had one on his back that was permanent, so he figured that Derek would be able to help him as well.

“I don’t know,” Scott says absentmindedly, using the layer of dust to create the image on the table. “It’s just something I traced with my fingers.

Derek turns away from Scott and begins sifting through a large mile of metal objects. “Why is this so important to you?”

“Do you know what the word tattoo means?” Scott looks at me, raising his eyebrows in question. “to mark something,” he answers, a hint of a proud smile playing across his lips.

Derek sighs, bringing his hand up to scratch his neck in frustration with Scott. “Well that’s in Tahitian. In Samoan it means open wound.”

“I knew I wanted to get a tattoo when I turned 18. I always wanted one,” Scott wrings his hands together, eyes downcast. “I just decided to get it now, to make it kind of a reward.”

Derek’s face scrunches in confusion. “For what?”

“For not calling or texting Allison all summer,” Scott sighs, his eyes glazing over at the thought of his ex-girlfriend.

It’s not that I don’t like Allison, because I think she is awesome, but seeing Scott so torn up and pining over he all summer really has bummed me out. I think he really just needs to get laid…or maybe take some yoga classes.

“Even when I really wanted to, even when it was so hard not to sometimes,” he continues, a smile gracing his lips as he most likely images Allison in some manner. “I was trying to give her the space she wants. Four months later, it still hurts, it still feels like---, like an open wound.”

Derek sighs, nodding in understanding of Scott’s reasoning behind the tattoo. Even though I still think the idea is absolutely stupid, I guess I can see where he is coming from. This is something for Scott to see how strong he actually is; how he is able to do whatever he sets his mind to.

“The pain's going to be worse than anything you've ever felt,” Derek lifts a blowtorch up and turns it on, flames and heat radiate from the device, causing me to jump back in panic.

“Oh—oh god,” I sqeak, trying to scramble away from the fiery object. “Ah, that's—that’s great. Oh, wow. That's a--, that's a lot for me.”

Covering my eyes, I back further away, planning my exit from the room. “So I'm gonna take that as my cue…I'm just gonna wait outside.”

I start to step around Derek when he harshly grabs me by the shirt and pulls me towards him. “Nope. You can help hold him down.”

“Oh, my God,” I say, grabbing a hold of Scott.

This was absolutely not what I had thought would be a part of my day. I thought I was going to be playing video games and eating gross amounts of potato chips; not watching my best friend be blowtorched by Mr. Sour Wolf. I seriously need to find other friends.

Derek takes the blowtorch and descends it down upon Scott’s arm. Scott’s skin begins to sizzle, causing him to scream out in pain. I being to feel faint but Scott has now grabbed onto my arm tightly, practically making the bones break in half. After a few more minutes of this torture, the screaming stops. I look down and see Scott; face drenched in sweat and his wolf fangs slowly retracting back into his regular human teeth.