8. Howl

SELENA POV

“What are you reading?” Allison says, putting her messenger bag on her desk.

Lifting the book up so she can read the cover, I see her eyebrows quirk in confusion. “In English it means Guardians of the Moon. My Gran gave it to me over the weekend; said that I would be interested in it.”

“Sounds interesting,” she smiles widely at me. “Maybe I could borrow it sometime?”

Nodding at her, I turn back to the book just as Mr. Clark, our Biology teacher, begins class. Compared to most of the teachers at this school, he so far has been one of the only ones to not verbally abuse each of his students throughout the day. It’s refreshing.  “Today, we will be beginning our dissection project. Each of the tables has a frog and the required tools to complete the investigation. You will move to the table that has your name tag on it and find your partner. Don’t be afraid to ask questions; you may begin!”

Grabbing my bag, I stand up to walk through the aisles of tables to find my table. Eventually finding my name at a table close to the back, I sit on a stool and look over to see the nametag of my partner: Stiles Stilinski. I think the fates are with me today.

“Hey,” I look up to see Stiles putting his backpack down on the table and sitting on the stool next to me. “Looks like Clark is the only teacher I am going to like having this year.”

Smiling, I nod in agreement. So far, Harris has partnered me with all my other classmates that I clash with. I seriously think he just wants everyone in the class to be miserable. That would not surprise me at all. “Let’s just hope you know as much about Biology as you do about Batman.”

“Well I can tell you that you will be holding your breath on that one. I am one of the most squeamish people you will ever meet—so I apologize in advance if I faint.”

“I’ll just make sure you miss the dead frog when you fall,” I laugh, grabbing the directions for the dissection and looking them over. After discussing the steps, Stiles and I put our goggles and gloves on to begin.

Grabbing the scalpel, I make an incision on the stomach of the frog, grimacing dramatically when the overwhelming smell of dead frog and formaldehyde invade my senses.

“Oh god,” I hear Stiles next to me. “This is my worst nightmare. I will never sleep again. Oh god.”

“Let’s try to take your mind off of the dead frog carcass,” I say while using small tongs to tug lightly on the frog’s intestines. “What are you doing tonight? I was going to do some homework and wanted to see if you wanted to watch another movie or something.”

“Oh—well I—I’m actually going to be spending the night with my dad at home. He’s been so swamped with work and I haven’t been able to see him all that much.”

“Okay, well maybe another time,” I say, pulling what looked like the frog’s liver out of its body. “That is so disgusting.”

Instead of a reply, all I hear is a thump next to me. Looking over, I see Stiles lying on the floor, his head luckily resting against his backpack instead of the hard floor. “Uh—Mr. Clark,” I call out while taking my gloves off so I could check on Stiles. “Clean up in aisle four!”

----

After waking Stiles up, Mr. Clark has me walk him to the nurse’s office to make sure there was nothing truly wrong with him. I think physically he will be okay, but mentally—well that’s another story. I can just imagine him forever being paranoid of frogs. Reading my book, that I had managed to grab on my way out of class, I wait for Stiles to be checked out.