Part two

<<< Kyle's p.o.v >>>

Practice was exhausting enough without having to come home and deal with my deranged father. I'd walked in on him beating my little brother again. It had been happening more often lately and I was reluctant to let him go home on his own, but he had insisted that he would be fine today so I let it be, but never again. He'd have to sit and wait for me or I'd skip practice. I didn't care which as long as he was safe. It tore my heart to know that this was happening just because my little brother happened to be gay. I'd never have pegged my father for being a homophobe, but apparently he was, and a bloody big one at that. He'd never really been a great father to begin with, always coming home drunk, constantly yelling at us and things of the sort, but never once did he hit us. That was until our mother left. She'd had enough of his drunken antics and found herself another man, and I didn't blame her in all honesty. But the divorce had made my father change. His personality became even worse and then to top it off he'd heard Luca's conversation with me. The one that involved him coming out, and that's when all hell finally broke loose. I looked through the cupboards to find something to cook, knowing that Luca most likely hadn't eaten at all during the day. The boy was fussy when it came to food so he rarely ate in the school canteen unless he brought his own food, which he rarely did. I sighed, we really needed to go grocery shopping soon, there was barely anything in the house. Giving up I decided to go check on him.

'Luca buddy.' I called gently as I peeked my head into my room. A smile stretched across my lips when I saw his small form bundled up in the covers. For a sixteen year old lad he was tiny, both in height, weight and muscle tone. He was only 5''3 and he had no meat on his bones what so ever, but he wasn't weak, despite his small frame. He could give a punch if he had too, and a damn good one if I said so myself. I'd taught him how to defend himself the minute father had began beating him. I walked over to the little bundle and shook it gently, receiving a sleepy groan.

'Wakey wakey munchkin.' I chuckled when a tired hand tried swatting me. He hated being called a munchkin, and his reaction to it only made me call it him even more.

'Ouch.' He hissed as he struggled to sit himself up. I quickly helped him, trying to ease his discomfort. 'W-what time is it?' He yawned, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

'Half six.' I replied taking a seat by his feet. 'Thought we could get take out. Whatcha fancy?' I chuckled as his little face brightened up at my words.

'C-can we have Chinese! Pleeease!' He stuck out his bottom lip and looked up at me with those puppy dog eyes of his which made me laugh.

I ruffled his hair, 'course we can. Chicken chow mien, duck spring rolls, mushrooms and sweet and sour chicken balls right?' I said and he eagerly nodded. 'Ill phone it in and get them to deliver, go pick a movie and we'll watch it while we eat.' I said getting up off the bed.

He made to get up, wincing at each move, but trying to hide it from me. I sighed and held out my arms for him.

'I-I'm fine.' He whimpered, but he wasn't fooling anyone. I saw the cuts on his back while I treated them and they weren't shallow, they'd cut deep this time and I knew they'd leave scars.

'Come on, your not fooling me bud.' I said gently taking his hands in mine, slowly pulling him to his feet. I wrapped an arm gingerly round his waist, keeping him steady on his feet as we walked to the living room.

'T-thanks.' He whispered as he sat himself on the sofa.

I ruffled his hair gently making him giggle, 'I'll go phone the Chinese, pick whatever you want to watch.' I said as I grabbed the phone. I glanced back at his eager face as I left the room to find the number for takeout. I wanted to always see him smiling and happy. I didn't want him to be troubled ever again, but despite all my efforts that bastard man kept finding ways to hurt my precious little brother.

Twenty minutes later and we were settled on the sofa happily munching away at our Chinese watching 21 jump street, Luca giggling away.

'How's your food?' I asked, taking another bite of my own. I looked over at my little brother when I didn't get an answer. I almost choked on my mouthful as I laughed. The boy looked like a hamster. His cheeks were stuffed full of food and he was still trying to fit in more!

He caught me looking and quickly swallowed his mouthful, 'I'm hungry.' He said sheepishly, his little cheeks growing red.

I chuckled. I knew it, he hadn't eaten at all today. 'Starting tomorrow I'm going to start making you lunch to take with you.' I told him. He looked confused but nodded tucking back into his food, a little slower this time.

We finished our meals in silence and once the movie had ended I stood to clear the plates. 'Want a drink?' I asked as I gathered the plates in my hands.

'I-I'll get them.' He said as he slowly shuffled to the edge of the sofa, wincing in pain.

'No you,' I began but was cut off by him.

'I said I'll get it, just help me off the damn sofa.' He grumbled.

He was stubborn as hell sometimes. I took hold of his hand in my free one and helped pull him to his feet. I cursed under my breath, watching as he walked stiffly into the kitchen. He was clearly in a whole other world of pain and yet he still refused to let me spoil him. But I guess he'd always been like that, more so when this hell started. I knew his heart was in the right place but I'd rather give up a social life and football to ensure he wasn't left alone with that man.

'Do we have any hot chocolate?' He asked wobbling on his tippy toes, looking in the cupboards.

'Erm, we should have some left.' I said joining the search. Between us we practically emptied the cupboards trying to find this hot chocolate.

'Found it!' He squealed in delight. 'Ky, I can't reach it.' He pouted when he looked at me. I chuckled. He looked more like a five year old child than a sixteen year old boy.

'Here you go munchkin.' I laughed, grabbing the pot from the back of the cupboard and handed it to him. He growled at me and snatched the pot from my hand, making him wince at the sharp movement.

'Just for that you ain't getting any.' He grinned cheekily at me and stuck his tongue out. 'So what you gonna make me for dinner tomorrow?' He asked, tilting his head to the side.

'Hmm, maybe that nice chicken pasta you said you liked.' I mused. His little blue eyes lit up.

'Yeah. I want that.' He grinned as he poured the drinks. He nudged a cup of hot coco towards me and picked up his own. 'That was the last of it. Can we get some more tomorrow?' He asked sweetly.

'Course we can bud.' I said taking the cup out of his hands. 'Come on, let's go sit back down.'

I helped him back onto the sofa before handing him his cup. He sipped at it and sighed, content. I smiled as we watched telly. It grew dark quicker than I expected. I got up and locked the front door. That bastard would have to find somewhere else to sleep tonight if he even decided to come back because he sure as hell wasn't coming in here. Walking back into the living room my eyes fell on my brothers little form. He had fell asleep bless him. I took the cup from his hand and carried him to my room. He felt safer in my room and after what had happened I wanted him to get a good nights sleep. He needed his rest and if he felt more at ease by my side then I had no problems with letting him sleep beside me. It was just a good job it was a double bed. I pulled off his jeans and put some sweats on him to keep him warm. They were far too big on him, just like my shirt, but it didn't matter, they'd be comfier than his jeans. I lay him on his stomach so not to aggravate the wounds on his back before tucking him under the cover. I quickly ran downstairs, turned everything off, washed up the plates and cups before going back upstairs. Shutting my door I stripped down to my boxers before climbing in next to Luca, who was snoring gently. I kissed his forehead and muttered a goodnight before drifting off to sleep.