28. Come Fly With Me

{Rachel's POV}

The last week before break flew by after the party. Assignments were completed and turned in, tests were taken, lessons taught. December 22nd came along and I needed to pack my bags for tomorrow. My parents agreed to let me go to Paris with Harry for nearly two weeks; what a miracle. I go down to the basement and pull the string to turn on the light, the dark room becoming lit in the weak light from the single bulb. I maneuver my way to the shelves in the far back of the room and reach up to pull down one of the larger suitcases we own from the top shelf, a cloud of dust erupting from the movement. I swat the air in front of me with my free hand and cough to clear the inhaled dust from my lungs before turning and making my way back to the stairs, pulling the string to turn off the light just before climbing the stairs. I rush up the stairs when I get the feeling that I'm being watched and chills run down my spine. I despise that feeling. I close the basement door behind me and lug the suitcase along with me to the next set of stairs before climbing them and walking down the hallway to my room. I toss the suitcase on my bed with a thud before letting out a huff of air while turning to my closet. I stretch my arms behind my back before walking to my closet and grabbing a handful of clothes. I lay the clothes on the rest of my bed and fold the clothes I pulled out, about three full outfits worth. I fold the clothes and place them in the suitcase before returning to my closet and grabbing another armful and putting those clothes in the suitcase. I throw in more outfits, enough to last me our entire time in Paris, and grab a few dresses to add in just in case we go out one night. I stare at the suitcase that is just below being full and think about how much more I can fit into it. I go to my bathroom and grab the toiletries I won't need to use tomorrow morning and pack them up in a plastic bag before throwing them on top of my clothes in the suitcase; I lay another bag out in the bathroom so that I can just throw my other toiletries in it before leaving. I make my way back to my room and zip up my suitcase so that I can move it from my bed. The zipper closes without much of a struggle and I go to lift it; my arms practically scream as the bag topples off my bed and my arms struggle to keep the bag from slamming onto my feet. I move my feet and drop the suitcase with a loud thud before rubbing my arms and turning my head to look at my clock for a time check; it's 7 pm. I jump onto my bed and let my mind wander. Tomorrow Harry is picking me up at 7 in the morning, so 12 hours from now, and driving us to Dulles. He'll put his car in long-term parking and we'll check-in our luggage and get our tickets before going through security and taking the little underground train to our terminal, where we'll probably have an hour to relax, get something to eat, before having to board our Air France flight to Paris. Paris. Wait, did I pack my passport? I sit up and get out of my bed to walk over to my carry-on, sifting through its contents before realizing that I have not packed my passport. I groan and head down the stairs to the kitchen to ask my mom where my passport is. I enter the kitchen and find her making ice cream.

"Hey Mom? Have you seen my passport?"

"It's in the safe in my room."

"Thanks."

I walk back up the stairs to my parents' room and walk into their closet. I move my mom's winter coats to the side to expose the safe in the back wall. I punch in the combination and it opens. I pull the door open further and look through the items in it before pulling out the stack of passports. I open the first one and it's my dad's, so I put it back. The second is my mom's and the third is mine. I stuff my passport in my back pocket as I hold the last passport in my palm, the cover lifted slightly from the number of times it's been opened. I lift the cover to see my brother's face smiling up at me. I feel a pang in my heart and a prick in my eyes so I slam the passport closed and throw it towards the back of the safe. I close the door and punch in the code again to lock it before replacing my mom's coats and making my way out of the room. I shove my passport into my carry-on bag and double check to make sure I have everything in it, aside from my phone which is charging and will wake me up at 6 tomorrow morning. I leave my room and enter the hallway where I walk two doors down and stop at the door on my right. This door has been shut for at least three months and I haven't been in it in nearly 6. I grab the knob and turn the handle before pushing the door open. I carefully enter Max's room and sit on the edge of his bed. On the wall in front of me is a bunch of football memorabilia for multiple teams. On my left is his closet doors and to my right is his dresser and desk. On his desk is a photo of him and I when we went to Disney World a few years ago and rode the Tower of Terror together, our faces contorted in either fear or excitement. I feel my eyes water up as I continue to look around his room and I lay back on his bed; the comforter still slightly smells like him. I curl up on the left side of his queen sized bed and grab his favorite stuffed dog to hold tight against me. I let the tears roll sideways onto the bed, the tears from my right eye rolling over my nose and mixing with the tears from my left eye. I curl up tighter after a few seconds as I feel myself break into a million pieces that are solely being held together by my position. The tears fall, but I am quiet. A headache pounds against my forehead and the room begins to feel warmer. I start to shake as the tears continue to fall. I hear the door downstairs open and close before someone climbs the stairs and walks down the hallway. I think the person goes into my room before turning around and walking down the hall until they find this door open. I hear their footsteps stop just outside the door before they cautiously make their way into the room. I keep my eyes shut even when the bed dips on the other side and someone wraps their arms around me. Harry's cologne fills my nostrils as my face is pressed against his chest near his collarbones and his hands run through my hair. I let a whimper escape and feel his arms tighten around me while his lips kiss the top of my head, but he stays silent. We stay that way until my tears have stopped and I'm no longer shaking. I open my eyes and look up at Harry's saddened face. His eyes are watery and his mouth is slightly quivering.