4. Let's Talk Cars

{Rachel's POV}

My alarm goes off at 5:30 sharp, the notes of Your Side of the Bed by Little Big Town floating around my room. I groan before rolling on my side, facing my wall as I shove my pillow against my ear to drown out the sound. No matter how hard i keep my pillow pressed to my ear, the music doesn''t stop. I audibly groan before throwing my covers off, stumbling towards my desk where my phone is charging and that song keeps playing. A pain shoots through my body from my foot as I feel myself step on something.

"MOTHER F-"

I promptly fall flat on my face, hitting my head against the pile of clean clothes shoved to the side of my room. At this point in time, I must say I am ridiculously happy that I am lazy when it comes to folding my clothes. My mom always nags me about putting away my clothes as they cost more than some families make in a month. I just roll my eyes and walk away. It's her own fault for buying me expensive shit that I don't want.

On your side of the bed there's a burned out candle flame

I shove myself up and make my way over to my desk. I mentally give myself a pat of the back when I successfully reach my phone. I slide my finger across the screen, turning off the alarm. I angle myself towards my door and drag myself out to the hallway, heading for my bathroom. I hop in the shower, letting the hot water calm my tense muscles from the desk fiasco. I step out, wrapping a towel around myself quickly as the chilly air hits me. I guess it's safe to say I'm awake now. I wipe the steam off the mirror and brush out the bird's nest that is my hair. I trudge my way back to my room and pull on the first outfit I see: black skinny jeans and a red sweater. I rub my hand along my sweater sleeve; alright, my mom gets my clothes right sometimes. I don't think I've ever felt anything quite this soft. I grab my black cable-knit beanie and my white Converse, heading down to the kitchen for some sustenance.

On your side of the bed there's a picture of our wedding day

What the? I could've sworn I turned off my alarm...

"Morning, sweetie! What are you doing up?"

My head snaps to my right and my eyes widen when I realize my mom is here. Wait, she's always awake at the ass crack of dawn.

"Morning, Mom. Umm, could you change the song?"

She gives me a questioning look before changing the song on the radio. Thank goodness, it's now playing Bruno Mars.

"So, what are you doing up?"

Oh, right. I usually stay in bed all day.

"I'm going to go to school today."

My mom stops everything and turns all of her attention towards me. We stare at each other for a solid thirty seconds before a shrug and look away from her.

"Are you sure you want to go?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Well, if you're sure. I'm glad you're starting to get back into the flow of things."

"Yeah."

With that, I grab a bowl and pour some chocolate Krave, pouring milk until all the cereal is covered. I grab one of the spoons from the drawer and head towards the TV room where I can hear my dad watching the news.

"Hey, squirt! What are you doing up?"

"I'm going to go to school."

He raises his eyebrows at me, but turns his attention back to the news. Oh wow, an accident on I-95. What a shocker. Traffic is bumper-to-bumper on I-66. That is unexpected. Please do note the sarcasm.