To Catch A Dreamer

[Chapter 30]

The compass was spinning again, buzzing audibly just below my collarbone. It woke me as sunlight streamed through the tent’s little slit. Draco was proving to be a lousy lookout. His golden hair sparkled in the sun, but he did not wake. At least we knew the wards worked, for despite Draco’s nap, we had yet to be manhandled. 

I propped myself up on the cot, watching the furnace blazed red.Two months had passed since our little skirmish in Chinatown. October brought the cool fall breeze from the ocean, sending a shiver through the trees. 

The enchanted tent was incredibly useful, having been stocked with provisions to last us a lifetime. At the rate Draco was eating, however, we might need to replenish our food within six months. I twiddled with the compass in my hands. Why was it spinning?

The sun rose higher in the sky when a silvery wolf bounded into the tent swiftly, knocking Draco off his post. I stumbled off the cot, frozen in place. A chill made its way down my spine. The wolf loosened its jaw, and spoke in Remus Lupin’s voice.

“Danny’s first word was ‘Jane,’ although it could have easily been ‘Ane.’ It would be unwise to respond. Stay safe. We are fine.”

The wolf dissolved into nothingness, momentarily filling the air with a soft blue tint. Relief flooded over me. 

Danny was—is—safe.

“Thank God,” I whispered.

Draco made his way to me and pulled me into his arms. Tears flowed unobstructed down my cheeks, and I half laughed. 

“He’s safe.”

Draco smiled, wrapping his arms tighter around me. “Yeah, he is.” 

I suppose it was the nature of the moment that caught us off guard. In hindsight, we should have been more vigilant.

We never expected a band of people to troop right outside our wards, and that was our folly. 

Homenum Revelio!” a shrill voice screamed from outside our tent. I tensed. 

“Draco,” I whispered calmly. “We are not alone.”

His arms flexed around me. His breath caught in his throat. 

“Aunt Bella,” he gasped. 

“Listen carefully,” I pulled him by the shoulders, forcing him to look me straight in the eye. “Whatever I do, whatever I say, you must trust me.”

“We know you’re here,” the mad Bellatrix teased. “Come out to play, dearies!”  

Draco nodded.

“Good.”

“Come out, you two! I’m waiting!” Bellatrix did sound impatient, and her voice was just as menacing as I remembered.

Draco cursed. “Damn that spell.”

“They’ll recognise us,” I said, my mind racing. “You’re supposed to be my captive.”

“Jane,” Draco began to protest.

“Sorry, love, but I’m not giving you much of a choice.”

Fiddle paced his grand den, perplexed and more than slightly depressed. His feet bounced across the carpet, creating an obnoxious scrapping sound. The fire crackled in the corner, and his thoughts drifted up the chimney along with the smoke. 

Matt had been MIA for three days, and the March family had been shot in their beds. His treasured book had also followed Matt down the missing path.