A Plethora of Dilemmas

[Chapter 14]

I told Alice all about the Philosopher’s Stone on the train to Chrysocolla Cottage. She made the perfect audience; and the countryside made the perfect backdrop for storytelling.

“And then Voldemort had said something. He said I would join his side, just like Eliphas had.”

“But Eliphas wasn’t really on his side,” Alice reminded me.

“And neither will I ever be.”

At that moment, the cabin lights went out, and the clouds turned grey.

“What’s happening?” I whispered.

“I don’t know…”

The Muggles on the train were beginning to stand and move about, all confused and worried and afraid.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” the conductor said through the speakers. “We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties. We suspect the train has broken down. Please remain calm and seated while our crew inspect the situation. Thank you.”

Of course, when the conductor says to be calm, the passengers tend to get even more worried.

“You don’t think —” I didn’t finish my sentence.

The door of the train screeched, and a tall and stocky cloaked figure entered our cabin. The Muggles around us screamed in horror, but my own voice was stuck in my throat.

The cloaked figure reached into his pocket and drew out a wand. I drew my breath. Alice dug her fingers into my arm.

The hooded man walked slowly down the aisle, shooting full body binding spells as he did. Muggles were left confused and paralysed on their seats. His face was covered by his ash grey curly hair, but he was menacing all the same. He came to our aisle and stood before us.

“I’ve been waiting,” he hissed. “Waiting for so long…”

He pulled his hood back to reveal a worn out face with sinister brown eyes. A hideous smile formed as he walked towards us.

“Hello, Jane March,” he whispered. “I see you’ve caught the Curse.”

It had been a while since I returned to my own realm, so hearing the man utter my other name came as an unfamiliar shock.

Samuel,” Alice exclaimed, drawing her wand. “There are Muggles here. Do you really want to break the law?”

He grinned wider. “I am above the law, dear Grandmother. In fact, we all are. I don’t understand why Dreamers such as ourselves should be subject to such nonsense.”

“In case you’ve forgotten, Samuel, we’re cursed. I do think death’s gotten to your head.”

“In fact, Grandmother, it has done me well. If I hadn’t come to this world, well, I would have died a fool — but here, I am once again the man of my youth.”

“The same hollow man with wicked ambitions? I hardly think that’s an improvement.”

“Wouldn’t you like to know, dear Alice, what has happened to my precious Beth? Aren’t you curious? Oh, I know you can’t resist a good riddle. Shall I solve it for you?”

Alice did not respond. Her lips formed a tight line.

“I’ll tell you, then. Beth was part of an elaborate plan of mine — a rather clever one, if I do say so myself.

“You see, I was well aware that I had been summoned into this realm when the Curse had been transferred — and I was well aware that I could, in fact, perish in the other realm because of this. At first, this frightened me to no end, but then I thought, what use is my physical body to me anyway? If I could have a free soul to travel the realms with, then why should I not do it?