The Missing Piece

[Chapter 6]

By the time Alice and I had arrived at the Leaky Cauldron, the pub was filled with people, for rain had begun to drench London. Fortunately, Alice had reminded me to wear a coat, lest I get myself soaked. Alice had charmed it to repel rain, so I mostly stayed dry. Unfortunately, it lacked a hood, and thus we were obliged to duck for cover every few steps.

 "Alice, tell me about Great Grampa Samuel and Great Grandma Beth."

We had gone out the pub to the back alley. She shrugged, tapping a brick with her wand. "What's there to say? Samuel was a sweet grandson, but he was timid. He never wanted to go out and play, or read a book. Instead, he would just sit all alone until someone called him for supper. Then he became a Dreamer, and he went half mad. He married Beth, and I can assure you, it was one of his better moments. I hadn't lived to see him get better, but Jasper has said that Samuel became much more determined in his late years as a Dreamer."

"And Great grandma Beth?" I asked, as the brick wall before us opened up to form an archway. Diagon Alley was the Wizard's version of Rome's cobbled shopping streets—and just as crowded, too, although the crowds had subsequently retreated into the colourful stores and cafe patios to avoid the rain. I couldn't help but stand in shock at the plethora of magical items being displayed. "Is that a jar of worms moving around at that window?"

"No, I think those are caterpillars. Poor Absolom!" Alice exclaimed as she took my hand and pulled me forward. "Beth was sweet, and quite smart, but Jasper tells me her life was short lived. She died giving birth to Caroline."

"Oh," I said. "I'm sorry I never got to meet her."

"Maybe in the future," Alice whispered.

"What do you mean?" I asked, but Alice had already moved on to her next thought.

"I've got to pop in the office for a bit," Alice said, ushering me out of the rain and into Flourish and Blotts. I gasped. Each inch of the bookstore seemed to be covered with books, and I felt my head spin in wonder. I looked up at Alice, feeling a tad bit small. She handed me a pouch filled with Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts. I felt the weight of the wizard money against my tiny hand. "Don't worry, I'll be back before you know it."

I gave her a weak smile and she disappeared back into the Alley. In an instance, I realised I had no clue what would happen to me in the Wizarding World. I had always been able to know how things would work out somehow. I had known to take literature so I could be an editor. I had known to ride the metro to get to campus on time. But despite having read seven Harry Potter books, It was appalling to discover that I had no clue of what would happen at all—not once I was added to the mix. A knot formed in my stomach, and I wrung my hands together. I suddenly felt like a ten year old child, incredibly lost and nervous. The lights began to flicker, and a kind clerk emerged from further in the shop. 

"My dear, are you quite all right?" he asked. "You're causing the lights to go out."

I blinked, composing myself. "I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to," I muttered in a small voice.

"That's quite all right," he said with a toothy grin. "How old are you, my dear?"

"Ten, sir," I said, half reminding myself. "Nearly eleven, really."

"And what is a fine young lady of nearly eleven doing scared out of her wits?"

I bit my bottom lip. "It's nothing, I just thought of something dreadful."

"You and I both can get carried away with imaginations," he smiled. "But don't let them get to you unless they're of the good sort. Now, off you go, there are a few books a girl your age might find intriguing up on the second floor."