The Beginning of a Beginning

I couldn't believe it, today all the kids in my town - Pallet Town - finally got their Pokémon licenses. Pallet is only a small town with a population of just a few thousand, it's around the south west of Kanto, the sort of country I live in. I've heard of successful trainers coming from here in the past like Red and Blue, when I'm older I want to be just like them.

Last night I packed everything I would need on my journey, mostly camping equipment but the odd bits and bobs too. Finally dressed in my sneakers, baggy jeans and my favourite shirt I set off to Oak's lab to receive my first Pokémon. Seeing me leave is breaking my mother's heart but this is my own choice and it's in my blood, my father is a great trainer who but I haven't seen him in years.

Oak's lab is just around the corner to my house, I arrive at his house and push my long brown hair to the side and take the first few steps past the crimson gates. My alarm appeared to be of some use as I'm the first to arrive, Professor Oak is stood at the door. He greets me in with a friendly smile.

"It looks like you're the first to arrive Tom, it looks like you get the first pick." He says baring his usual friendly gesture. I gaze upon the table with three Pokeballs laid on it. Instinct tells me that Bulbasaur will grow the quickest but Squirtle will be more friendly and easier to mould. Finally I lay my hand over Charmander, as a child I was always fascinated by fire. I find myself rapping my fingers around the Pokeball and bringing it close to my chest. I smile. Oak puts his hand on my shoulder and I turn to him.

"Is that the one you want?" He says.

"Of course." I smile at him, a tear gathers in the corner of my eye, after all of these years my dreams were finally coming true.

He looks at me, smiles once more, then holds out an open palm. On it was a Pokedex and five empty Pokeballs. I put the Pokeballs into my bag and the Pokedex in my Jacket then head outside.

At the end of the gates is my mother, she bursts into tears when she saw me but wipes them away as I get closer. She looks at me as if I am a new person, yet in a strange way, I am.

"So which did you chose?" She says while wiping away the last of her tears. I look in awe, I haven't released Charmander yet, perhaps now would be a good time, so I do. I press the small button at the front of the Pokeball and throw it to the ground. With a flourish of light the Charmander bursts out.

He has rough amber skin that gleams in the sun's summer rays. He looks around in some confusion then to me, staring deeply into me with his emerald green eyes, he cracks a smile at me with a few sharp teeth. Standing upright on his two hind legs showing a pale yellow under belly, short arms and a thick tail with a tall, roaring flame at the end.

Instantly he dives to my leg, hugging it. Even through my jeans I can feel his skin burning like a comforting hearth. I smile back down at him then look back to my mother. I never imagined her in my dreams, only that se would be there to see me defeat the Pokémon League. I never knew how much I would miss her, but now I will.

All four of us -me, Oak, Charmander and my mother- look towards the only road out of town, Route 1...

...and so my journey begins...