AFAA: Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"That's when the Academy burned down and we were able to escape."

Devin finished telling his story about how he was able to get out a few other kids from the school and take them to safe houses, which is the reason why he didn't come with us. He told us how the teachers and guards fought Jack and the people he led into the Academy, and how a lot of students managed to break away.

He also told us that someone torched the school. There would be no way that the school could function and maintain training children to be assassins, which was their goal. It also made me glad that I had gotten my file out in time.

Devin was X's inside man at the Academy. X was able to track when and where the Academy would be looking for new recruits, and he set it up. He made sure that Devin was found and taken to the Academy. X has been in contact with him ever since the beginning, the first mole in there.

He used him to watch over me. For some reason, X wanted to keep tabs on me since an early age. Devin had been able to send out messages to him in a secure line in one of the computer's at the school.

Children really were the best spies.

I didn't show it then, but I was thoroughly pissed at this. I was a good assassin, so I kept my face blank as we were all gathered in the kitchen. Everyone thirteen or older were there, while the younger kids were probably down the hall listening in on the story. They were all curious as to what happened-well, except for Ash, who kept his face even blanker than mine.

I was mad that I hadn't been told about the breakout. I was also mad how I knew Devin all my life, and how he never thought about telling me any of this was going to happen. I was pretty sure that I would have been a great help.

I waited until he told his story first, and when he finished, everyone took in a deep breath. As I looked around, I noticed that everyone was happy. Things went according to plan than.

Not that I knew what it was.

"And you're sure no one followed you?" Ash asked him.

Devin sat at the kitchen table and nodded. "Yes, I was sure to take a couple of long detours, which is why it took me all night."

"And the kids at the safe houses are alright?" Helena questioned. She seemed like the type to be worried about the kids.

He nodded once again. "Yes, I made sure everything went to plan. Everything's set."

"Alright," Jack nodded, looking over to Ash. "We should go call X and tell him Devin and the others made it."

Ash nodded and they left together back upstairs. And with that, so did the others. They gave Devin smiles of welcome and then left to do others. Sabel caught my eye and she slipped away with Helena, who I could hear yelling at the younger kids to go do something productive instead of eavesdropping.

Soon, it was just Devin and I in the kitchen. He was already getting up and rummaging through the fridge and said, "I'm starving; I've been driving all night."

I just continued leaning against the counter waiting for him to realize that something was wrong. And he did, just as I expected he would. He turned around, his smile faltering a little when he saw my bemused expression.

"What?"

I sighed. "When were you going to tell me about all of this Devin?"

He looked bewildered. "What are you talking?"

"I meant that it sounds like you've known about this Academy-destroying-organization for a while, and you are a big part of it," I told him. "And that it seemed like the leader was keeping nice tabs on me for a reason and speaking to you. Yet, I never heard a word it back at the Academy."