AFAA: Chapter 9

Oh my gosh, it has been way to long since I have uploaded anything at all. Sorry about that. But here is the next chapter. And I hope it is interesting and worth the wait.

_______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 9

"Hi there, I'm Cody by the way."

I looked at the guy, a little breathless. We had just jumped from a wall of about 20 feet high, maybe even higher, and landed safely on the ground. Yeah, I was a little breathless about that. But I then saw, after we had landed on solid grown above sea level, that he had a rope tied around his waist and from above.

Well, at least I know we didn't land on here by magic, I thought a little bitterly but my blood was pumping a little faster than usual.

"Anna," I replied back.

The boy named Cody started untying the rope and I suddenly realized that Jack and Sabel had gotten down too. Cody and the other two people had been along up on the wall appeared with them, and were also untying the rope from their waists and a pickup truck appeared through the trees and the headlights flashed towards us.

I looked around to see what the other's reaction to the truck was, but they didn't seem scared or surprised. They were with them apparently.

"Come on," said Cody, tugging on my arm when it stopped in front of us. He got on the bed of the truck and reached down to help me. I didn't like being helped like a damsel in distress who can't even climb onto a truck, but I didn't want to be rude.

I got on and Sabel followed with another girl. Jack got into the other guy who was on the wall so that there were three in the truck including the driver. But right before he had entered he asked the guy and driver, "Have they gotten most of them out?" Someone replied to low for me to hear, but then Jack said, "Okay. Tell them to start retreating."

So Jack really was leading the intruders into the school. He had been right and planned all this. Now the only thing I was wondering was about where they were taking us. If they knew about the academy, they could just as well be as bad as the people who kidnapped us. But I had no way of knowing that, just as I had no way of knowing that they weren't.

The truck started driving, quickly through the woods. It was a bit dense here; the people on the truck's bed had to duck down a bit to avoid being hit my low branches. And that was when I realized something.

"Wait, you know X?" I asked. I directed the question to Cody.

"Sure," he smiled. "He was the one who sent us here tonight. Jack included."

"So you've met him before?"

"Oh no," he shook his head and smiled at me. "He doesn't really come out and talk to us. He only speaks through phones or messengers. There are only a couple of people who've actually met him because they're at the top of the system, like Jack and Ash."

"Ash? System?"

"Yeah, system. It's what some call what we do. You know, renegade assassins. We all," he pointed to himself and the other girl," have runaway from different assassinations all over the country and world. Ash and Jack are one of the oldest people who've worked for Ash and are still actively working with him. But I think Jack should tell you more once we get back."

"Where are you taking us?" Sabel spoke up. Apparently this is what worried her, though she didn't let it show.

"Back to the main headquarters. A lot of us renegade assassins who want to actively help free others like yourself live there," spoke the girl. "I'm Helena, by the way. Welcome to the world outside your academy."