Dan, The Early Years. 2049

Year 2049

Lieutenant General Dan Haeckel

Age: 29

Location: Orlando International Airport, Florida

__________________________________________

I stepped out of customs and into Orlando airport, looking around at the bustling people and bright and luring shops. It wasn't my favourite place in the world and I was disappointed that this was where LASER's base headquarters was situated. But it was the place that my best friend had chosen to live with his wife and daughter. Therefore, besides my own home, there was nowhere else I'd rather be. This would be my first visit. Not to Florida, but to my friend's new home. And my first sighting of his daughter, little Kayli Hunter. I wonder who she takes after. So far it seemed that all Liam had inherited from me was a need for cleanliness and my height. And, of course, he was a genetic witch. That had been a given, since the power ran richly through my blood. Kayli, apparently, had received her father's witch genes, but had it been heightened by the fact that her mother had a mutation?

I took a town car to their condo, seething with jealousy as I saw their modern lodging. Despite his unkemptness, Hunt knew how to save money. I would have to show them up by buying that town house near Dublin's city centre, the one that Sondra had stared longingly at.

I pulled my bag out the boot of the car and rolled it to their front door. It was quiet, which was a relief to me. According to Hunt's emails, Kayli was just as emotionally turbulent as my Liam, though she had connected her emotion with her magic, causing her environment to change according to her feelings. I hoped she would be happy for my entire visit.

I rang the doorbell and instantly heard pounding footsteps coming down stairs to the door. It flung open to reveal a harrowed looking Hunt. He was holding an infant Kayli in his arms, her pale green eyes studying me unblinkingly. But I couldn't pay her attention for long. Hunt was pale, more pale than usual, a ghostly white. His eyes were wild with worry.

"Dude, dump the stuff inside the door. We need to go to HQ now."

I dropped the bag in the foyer and stepped backwards. He rushed out, opening the lock to his car. He opened the back, placing the little Hunter into the infant seat, before speeding around to the driver's side. I got in quickly and waited impatiently while he got the car started and sped back down the driveway.

"Jaz got shot," he bit out.

Oh God. "Where? How did it happen?" Who fucked up? How bad was it? Who was the fucker who shot her, the one who was gonna die by my hand?

His fingers were trembling on the wheel. I should offer to drive but I knew I'd be shut down. He knew how to keep his movements under control despite his emotion.

"The weapons cache. They were supposed to go in, element of surprise and all, and ambush the smugglers. Someone blew their cover and they had to retreat. She was shot. Fuck." He pressed down on the accelerator, upping the speed. We made it to the outskirts of Orlando in little time, the large gates of the headquarters looming. He rushed through the gate and the security procedures and skidded into a parking space. I grabbed his arm before he could hurry out of the car.

"I'll grab the little scamp. You go to her. She'll be fine, James."

James swallowed visibly, closed his eyes for a moment before jumping out. I watched him jog to the building that held the infirmary and sent up a prayer to the goddess. I got out the car slowly and opened the back door. Kayli was still quiet. It was as if she knew that now wasn't the best time to be causing a ruckus. I unlatched the harness and lifted her small frame into my arms. I felt bulky and awkward, I hadn't felt that while holding Liam. She watched me with those trusting, innocent eyes and I couldn't help but fall in love with her.