Chapter Thirteen

Unedited.

Chapter Thirteen

We tested the limits of our training. Silence reigned between us for a long time. I thought a few times maybe he was just driving. There was no destination. He never pulled over to look at a map or check his phone for directions. He just drove. We stopped for gas and again he reminded me of the threat hanging over my head. If I tried to run or alert someone to my situation, he'd have his brother pull the trigger.

So I played good captive.

And he rewarded me by releasing my hands and arms from their restraints so I could eat. Deep red marks wrapped around my wrists from where the restraints bit into my skin. The self-inflicted slice to my arm didn't look any better. He apologized for making the restraints so tight but I refused to make this better for him by saying it was ok.

I thought we'd be on another long stretch but thirty minutes after getting gas, he pulled over to the side of the road. I frowned out the window then at him.

He didn't look at me.

But he got out of the car and went to the trunk.

What was he doing?

Whatever he needed, it was in a little black pouch that he pulled out. I saw it just before he came back around the car and put it on the roof. I thought about hitting him with the door. About running. Calling his bluff and taking my chances. I wrapped my hand around the handle but something stopped me.

It felt like a wiggle in the back of my mind.

I closed my eyes and followed it. That feeling.

The bond.

The door I always imagined was there, but it was faint. Almost as if-

The handle slipped out of my hand as Gregori opened the door.

My eyes flew open to find Gregori standing there with a tourniquet in his hand.

I immediately shook my head. "Don't." Whatever he planned to use that for had something to do with the bond and my inability to access it. I didn't need to close my eyes in order to start pounding on the reemerging link and screaming Michael's name over and over.

Gregori's face remained impassive. "I don't want to. But I have to. Don't make me regret letting your arms loose." He reached for me and I moved away on instinct. "Don't be difficult."

"I'm not going to let you inject me with-"

"You will or one of the Vampires will die. For their sake, don't be stubborn."

He waited for me to offer my arm and I refused. "I won't make this easy on you," I whispered.

"You never do."

Michael! Michael! Michael! The door eased and flexed, trying to solidify enough to make a connection.

Gregori tied the tourniquet and flicked the crook of my arm for a vein to pop. What he must be thinking in order to do this to me. Was it easy? Hard? Had I driven him to this? Perhaps he really did think they would be able to cure my Angel problem and extend my life. And in his mind, I would be so grateful and let everything else slide.

The door in my head cracked open just as he lined the syringe up with my vein.

Georgiana! I felt the prick of the needle and my breath hissed between my teeth.

"I know," he said in a soothing voice as his thumb rubbed against my skin. "I know."

I didn't know how long it would take for what he injected me with to take over so I tried to send as many snippets of what I was seeing down the line. But it didn't work, the messages weren't getting through and the bond started to flicker.