How I Paid For College

Chapter 1

“Keep the change.” Charley Donavan said as she handed the driver a twenty.

She hastily got out of the cab and pulled the collar of her camel coat closer about her face. Despite it being mid spring in Boston, there was a biting nip in the light breeze that brushed at her long golden curls.

Not wanting to be out in the cold longer than necessary, Charley made her way to the main entrance of the Boston Plaza. A doorman, dressed in a thick navy blue winter coat smiled at her sweetly as she approached.

“Good evening, miss. Welcome to the Boston Plaza.” He greeted as he slid open the glass door.

“Thank you.” Charley greeted returning the man’s warm smile.

As soon as she was inside the main lobby, Charley instantly felt grateful for indoor heating and felt a bit sorry for the doorman who stood in the biting cold.

The Boston Plaza was definitely by far one of the best hotels in the area. Just the main lobby alone showed the elegance and finery of this establishment. With its high ceilings and rich colours, it had a homey, relaxed feel that really drew visitors in. Charley had never spent a night, let alone a few minutes in one of their suites, but she could only imagine the elegance of the rooms. Just being here made her feel posh and part of high society. That was laughable. Charley Donavan and high society were never in the same sentence. Oh, but it was tonight.

With the warmth seeping back into her bones, she removed her coat. Charley glanced at her watch. Oh, she was so late. Rachael was going to kill her. With the help of one of the hotel’s attendants, she was directed to the Imperial Ballroom. Hurrying as fast as her black pumps would allow her; she made it to the elevator and headed to the second floor. She half sighed when she reached the entrance to the party, which was already in full swing.

A man, dressed in a black suit, white shirt, completed with a black tie, stood with a clipboard in hand.

“Hi,” she greeted. “I’m here for the charity benefit.”

The man smiled at her. “Could I see your invitation please?”

“Sure, just one second.” Charley opened her handbag, but to her dismay the white envelope was missing. “Shoot.”

She remembered taking the envelope from Rachael and putting it on her… dresser!

Charley sighed in frustration. She’d completely forgotten to take the invite. She’d been at the university’s library, catching an extra hour of study time, but had lost track of time. She’d had just about enough time to run across campus, back to her dorm room to change and in her hast she’d forgotten to take her invite for the party.

She offered the guard, what she hoped was an enduring smile. “Look, I forgot my invitation. I’m Charley Donavan. I know the woman who organised this event.”

“I’m sorry, but no invitation means, no entry.”

She battered her eyelashes at him. “Can’t you make an exception, just this once?”

The guard eyed her. “Sorry, I can’t do that, miss.”

She scowled at the guard, crossing her arms over her chest. This guy was way too uptight.

“Fine,” Charley pulled out her cell phone. “I’ll just call her. She’s not going to like this.”

She sent the guard a threatening glare and was about to dial Rachael’s number when a male voice called out.