Chapter 3

Talamaya sat quietly at the long white-clothed table at the feast that night wedged in between her mother and Og. No matter how much they tried to force the Vice Counselor on her, she wasn’t changing her mind about him.

The mood remained solemn while the servants served the best of the foods. Steaks of roasted wild boar coated in succulent spices, shellfish from the Neferon seacoast garnished with onion pearls and garlic cloves, freshly killed gryphon served in spicy soups...all offered to celebrate the departure of the warriors who’d make the journey the next day, with the knowledge most, if not all of the men who were sent on the quest, could die.

Talamaya turned her attention to Saqualian. The woman hovered over her brother, grinning like the two-headed spotted cheetaur just before it ate its next meal. Her dark hair dripped over her shoulders as she kissed his cheek. What had she done to catch his eye so all of a sudden? Grisom had never mentioned liking the woman at all. Was it that he’d turned of age and the woman made her move? Saqualian raised a grape to Grisom’s lips making Talamaya lift a brow.

Suddenly, she saw Grisom slide from his bench to the floor in a groggy state. She stood, concerned and anxious to see to him.

Her mother took her hand and tugged at her. “What’s wrong, Talamaya? Talamaya, what’s the matter?”

The queen’s words dripped with worry, and Talamaya stared at her mother for a moment, then looked over at her brother. He still sat on his chair and continued to nibble at selections of fruit Saqualian handfed him.

Talamaya shook her head and sat down. What was the matter with her mind?

“Are you all right, daughter?” her mother asked again, running her hand over her arm.

“Yes, my lady mother.” Talamaya rubbed her temple. “I...I must be tired.”

Her mother frowned. “We’ll talk about this after the meal tonight.”

Talamaya nodded, then glanced over at her companions, Kersta and Mexia. Both watched Saqualian with Grisom. Nothing good could come of a marriage to the dragon.

Og touched Talamaya’s hand. “You have not eaten hardly anything this evening.”

She quickly pulled her hand into her lap. “I worry about my brother and of course you and the others leaving our kingdom tomorrow. It weighs heavily on my heart.”

“You have not decided about me, then? Your father said he would speak with you about us.”

“I cannot give my favor to any. I beg your pardon.” She stirred her broth, dipping chunks of gryphon and potatoes about in the thick mixture.

Og leaned back in his chair. “I meant about our marrying. Your father said he would discuss our marriage tonight.”

Had Og not been listening? She’d already said he wouldn’t have her favor. Certainly he couldn’t have her hand in marriage. No way would she marry the brute. He’d rule every second of her life with an iron will, just as he ruled his men. Not once could they have any say in any matter. She wasn’t about to be treated like that by him, or anyone. She shook her head as she tried to crush her growing irritation.

“I’m a patient man, Princess. I’ll wait a little longer.” He smiled and pointed to her broth. “That’s the gryphon you were intent on making short work of with your dagger in the council chambers, by the way. You really ought not carry a dagger on your person. It’s inappropriate for a young woman of your rank to be armed in such a manner.”

She stared at the soup for a moment, then glanced back at her brother, the vision of his collapsing still fresh in her mind.

All at once his face turned colorless, and he slipped to the floor in a faint. Several shouted in alarm, and she knew then it was for real.