The Magic of Inherian: Scepter of Salvation

Book 1

by   Terry Spear

PUBLISHED BY:

Terry Spear on Smashwords

Scepter of Salvation

Copyright © 2010 by Terry Spear

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the author, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.

Discover more about Terry Spear at:

http://www.terryspear.com/

Smashwords Edition, License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

  Chapter 1

Talamaya sat fuming behind the men seated in a circle at her father’s high council session in the human kingdom of Damar. Having no say in anything being discussed, she gave her father an irritated look for making her attend. Blocking out the words of the financial advisor, Pelan, who stroked his gray beard while his rusty voice droned on about the cost of managing the kingdom, she turned her attention to her twin brother, Grisom. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t settle the grudge she’d harbored toward him since early that morn. Sitting beside their father, Grisom—newly appointed to the position of executive officer of the council—held his head high.

When she turned eighteen a few minutes after her brother, her father elevated her to the position of a marriageable royal maid, insisting she wed within the month. Wishing she’d been born a man for the millionth time, she growled inwardly at her lot in life.

Midmorning rays of sunlight streamed into the chambers from twenty feet above, warming the chilly room. The warmth of the golden rays on her skin, the wine she drank with her morning meal, and Pelan’s dry discourse on money matters, soon lulled her into another unfamiliar world.

Blinding cold, wet, heavy snow, and something dangerous in the chilly blanket of white eluded her. A goddess? A demon? The beautiful creature called to her, caressed Talamaya’s skin with icy tenderness, chilling her to the bone.

A shadow moved across the skylight briefly, shattering Talamaya’s strange vision, which only compounded the worry she had that she was losing her mind. Staring up at the skylight she imagined only a gryphon the size of a shire horse, half eagle, half lion, could block the sun that much. She shook her head. Gryphons never flew that close to the castle while the archers manned their guard posts.

Whispered secrets, hints of something ominous to come, and the images that plagued her mind since early that morn unsettled her. Even her mother, who normally had a smile for every waking moment, had seemed on edge, casting a wary glance at her more than once during the morning meal.