Chapter 2

Talamaya smiled at the knight as he flexed his muscles. “I’m glad you plan to be gentle with me, Sir Hauk. Rest assured, I won’t be with you.”

Kersta and Mexia joined them and Kersta handed her staff to Hauk.

Talamaya readied her staff while Hauk glanced back at his friends. She figured he sought their approval, but the look on their faces showed mixed emotion. They wanted him to best her, she was certain, but they feared he might hurt her in the process.

“Ahem. Are you sure you want to do this, my lady?”

She nudged his staff. “Prepare yourself, Sir Knight.”

Raising his staff diagonally across his body, he waited for her to make her move. She struck, wishing he’d do something more than stand like the padded wooden dummies the men attacked in swordsmanship practice.

Still he barely moved with her decisive blow, and at once she realized how much harder facing a male opponent with heavier muscle and weight could be. Undaunted, she struck twice so quickly in succession, he jumped back.

The men chuckled and the ladies clapped. Hauk grinned, undoubtedly amused she could force his defensive reaction. Pleased with her efforts, she smiled back.

“The princess has already sparred with the two ladies, Hauk. Remember,” Gynt goaded.

Spurred on by his companion’s ribbing, Hauk thrust his quarterstaff at Talamaya, but her quick reaction blocked his move. The wood vibrated through her hands with such ferocity, she realized long term she never could match his strength. She retaliated, striking with as hard a blow as she could manage, only he turned slightly, and her staff struck his knuckles to her horror.

“Ahhh,” he cried out, and lost hold of one end of his staff.

“Oh.” She dropped her staff and grabbed his hand. “Whatever made you turn—”

King Sal shouted, “Princess Talamaya! You will leave the arena at once! To your chambers!”

“Yes, my lord father.” She hurried off, hoping to the heavens she hadn’t harmed the knight’s reputation with the king...or injured the knight too badly.

“And you, ladies, leave at once, too,” the king added.

Talamaya glanced over her shoulder and saw the ladies grab their staffs, then race after her.

“What will your father do to Hauk?” Kersta asked as she and Mexia joined her, then exited the arena.

“Not much of anything, I imagine. After all, my father needs Hauk to accompany my brother on the quest tomorrow.”

“If his hand isn’t too badly injured,” Mexia said.

Talamaya’s body heated in shame. “I hadn’t meant to hit him. He turned, I guess when he caught sight of my father entering the arena. Just that slight move when I dove forward to strike his staff was enough to cause the accident.”

Kersta patted her shoulder. “He knows you wouldn’t have tried to hurt him. In fact, Hauk has teased me that I should be more kindhearted like you, then he’d consider marrying me.”

Talamaya smiled. “He won’t call me that any longer. Besides, I thought he had considered marrying you.”

Kersta grinned. “Yes, but you know me. I cannot decide which of the three knights I like the best.”

Mexia shook her head when they entered Talamaya’s chambers. “Here no one is interested in me.”

Talamaya motioned to the silk-cushioned benches. “There’s interest, but you don’t...encourage it.”