Chapter 2

Here you go :)

Kira~

We arrived at Barney’s by eight, and once inside my mom went straight to the counter to talk to sally, a friend she met a month after we moved here. M brother and I went to sit at our usual booth. I always loved this table because it’s right in the corner, away from the window, and people would have to walk inside in order to see you.

I sighed. Mom always talks non-stop when it comes to sally, but she’s quiet when it comes to us, unless she’s lecturing us.

Sally’s a short chubby woman. She’s always bubbly and cheerful; you couldn’t help but always be happy around her—even if you were in the crappiest mood. I’ve always loved her hair, and even though she wasn’t that old, her hair was a pretty silver color. She had added blue highlights a month before we moved to town; it fell down her shoulders in pretty curls. She was pretty, but honestly compared to my mom; she was more of a slightly ugly duckling.

My mom was a beauty; I’m lucky I look more like her, but supposedly my dad was also gorgeous; which is where my brother got his looks. My mom is tall, with a slim build and long legs. Unlike my hair, her hair is short, straight and the color of night; it falls just above her shoulders. She has fair skin and pretty sea green eyes.

I started looking around the room and recognized a few people I knew from school and most from around town, but didn’t see any of my friends. I sighed. For a town of less than a hundred, everybody knew everybody here, except for us; we kept our personal lives to ourselves.

I narrowed my eyes while looking around the room. We’ve been sitting for about ten minutes already and the waiter still hadn’t come.

“It’s not that busy in here, it’s already been ten minutes!” I complained to my brother and narrowed my eyes at him.

“It won’t be too long, Shana is headed this way now” Jayke said, staring at the way she sauntered over here smiling. Shana was the school slut, but luckily, the only thing my brother did was look. I’d beat his face in if he slept with that….

“Jaykey! How are you?” Shana squealed, giving my brother a hug; talking to him as if I wasn’t there. “Are you coming to Ted’s party tonight? Most of the juniors will be there, it’ll be fun!” she said smiling and started playing with his hair.

"His name is Jayke, not Jaykey" I stated. I hated when she called him that.

“Oh...hey Kira” she said and glared, before turning back to smile at Jayke. Jayke narrowed his eyes at her and pushed her hand away, then scooted closer to the wall.

“No, we’re not going. Can you take our order now or should I complain to sally?” he said, giving her a dirty look. Shana ignored the look and pouted.

“Alright, what would you guys like?” she asked, taking out her pad and pencil. We ordered two cheeseburgers, fries and chocolate shakes, then ignored her and started talking. She paused for a second, then huffed and walked away.

We both chuckled and I rolled my eyes at her attempt to walk sexy; it looked more like she was walking with something was lodged up her butt. I grinned at my brother and leaned back in my seat. “Sucks we can’t go to the party, I was actually looking forward to it. May was going to be there!” I said, winking at my brother. May was his current crush, but since we were moving, it was too late to tell her.

Jayke grimaced. “Yeah, I was planning on asking her out at the party, but since we’re leaving…”

Shana came back with our food and walked away pissed cause Jayke ignored her advances again. Our mom was still at the counter with Sally; she’d already ordered and decided to eat there. Sally smiled and waved at us; we waved back.