Chapter 8: Tsumugi - My Heart

Would you believe me if I said that a day consists of more than 24 hours? - Shuji Ikutsuki, Persona 3

The girls took their seats, invited by Kanzaki Kaori, a resident who moved from a distant city... or at least that's what Ritsu happened to tell the gang when she was asked about how the two of them met.

"I'm serious! She ended up attacking me for NO REASON!" Ritsu told the story, which got a few chuckles from the rest of the girls, but most of it coming from Kaori.

"Trust me, I beat you easily."

"It was the first time I fought you, you idiot!" the drummer replied angrily, almost as if she wanted to start a fight right there and then. It raised a few laughs from the rest of the crew. It had been awhile since they could ever laugh or talk like this together. Yui had a minor flashback of the days they spent in the music room... of course, back then, Mio was amongst them, and they weren't trying to kill each other.

The laughter died down slowly as Tsumugi returned, with a tray and her tea set, somewhat dusty with some black patches of dirt. She set it down onto the table and poured them all some tea into the tea cups, again, somewhat dirtied. The room took on a more serious note and everything was back to business.

"So... what exactly did you come here for? It can't be for more than just Tsumugi, right?" Kaori asked, sipping her tea.

"Actually, it's all about Mugi-chan. Word is, if we don't help her awaken to her power tonight... well, it's been predicted she'll disappear, from this hour AND this world." Tsumugi almost sank in her seat after hearing from Yui what might happen to her.

"Really? And I take it that the Shadows will be responsible?"

"Yes... or at least that's what Jun's 'organization' has told us." Yui said whilst sipping her tea. "It seems someone managed to manipulate the Shadows and alter them."

"Is this part of Mio's doing?" Yui pondered for a bit.

"As of now, we don't have much evidence to go on, so we can only assume that."

"What're you talking about?" Ritsu interrupted. "Who's the only person out her trying to kill us? We don't NEED evidence. We only need to take down Mio and this stupid Hour will be gone!"

"Ricchan, please. We don't even know that it's Mio. Besides, we only know there are 6 of us Numbers. There could be more than we know of, so we can't just easily jump to conclusions." Taking these words into account, Ritsu subdued herself, though the feeling of anger was still present.

"Yeah yeah... as usual."

"Don't give me that tone, Ricchan." Yui said firmly to her.

"ANYWAY," Azusa had to break it up before something ELSE happened. "I'm curious to know. How did Tsumugi-senpai end up here?"

"A couple of thugs chased her all the way here. When I found her, she was stripped to nothing but her bra and panties. I knew what'd happen if I let it go on, and even in this part of town, it was completely disgraceful, so I had to jump in and knocked them both out. I let her stay here in exchange for her services." Kaori explained, with Yui understanding what Tsumugi had been through.

"It must've been hard, after you've been dumped by your own family... and then this." Azusa added.

"I-it's fine..." Tsumugi stuttered, still slightly traumatized. "I-if it wasn't for Kaori-san... I think I might not have stood a chance out there again..."

"It's okay, Mugi-chan. That's why we're here for you." Yui turned her attention Kaori. "If I may, Kaori-san, I'd like to take Mugi-ch-... I mean, Tsumugi, back to our place. We want to help her awaken to her power as soon as possible." Kaori nodded her head, turning to Tsumugi.

"Pack your bags. You're leaving with them." On that note, Tsumugi headed straight back to her room, with a smile on her face. And no wonder. First, she's met her friends for the first time since 'that day', and now she's going to start living with them. The swordswoman turned back to Yui. "I trust you'll take care of her from now on... I have no doubts you can help to awaken her power."

"It'll be done, or else I'd have failed as a friend." She said determinedly. That put a smile on Kaori's face.

"Then I can at least sleep at night knowing Tsumugi's in good hands." The keyboardist came down to the living room with her heavy suitcase, the same way Kaori found her. "Uy... that huge suitcase again?"

"Sorry, Kaori-san... all of these is my keepsakes. I can't just part with them." Tsumugi said, 'petting' her suitcase.

"Well... fine, whatever. It's your stuff anyway." Kaori said, shrugging.

"And we'd better get outta here soon... 5 minutes to the Dead Hour." The group turned to look at the clock, and true enough, it was 11:55pm.

"...and we happen to live on the other SIDE of Tokyo." Azusa added, and knowing that fact, the girls knew they were going to be in the midst of the Dead Hour.

"That's just great." Yui then turned to Kaori. "Kaori-san, I suggest you head straight to the safest room in the house. And stay there, please."

"All right, you guys be careful." Kaori headed back up to her room. Yui went back to her crew to have a little briefing.

"Okay, you know the drift, right? All the Shadows are going to target Mugi-chan. You guys have to fend them off as much as possible until we get there. If anyone's in trouble, help them out, okay?" The group nodded. Grabbing their assurance, she turned her attention to Tsumugi. "Mugi-chan... first of all, it's good to see you back. Second of all, these Shadows are VERY dangerous... because they've been altered big time. I want you to stay out of harm's way at all costs. If you get separated, run and find the safest place you can go to."

"R-right..." The rest of the girls prepped up, holding their weapons firmly. They knew that the moment the clock struck twelve they were in for a pinch. Yui opened the door and headed out, leading the crew back to the house. Kaori looked on from her room window as they left.

"Good luck out there... Tsumugi." The clock struck twelve, the chimes from her clock echoing from the living room, and Kaori was no longer at her window...

"It's twelve." Azusa informed them. "Those Shadows are gonna come around anytime soon, so let's make this quick."

"All right, we need to get home as quickly as we can... LET'S GO!"