TEN

"Sirius, is it just me, or has Peter been acting strangely lately?" I asked Sirius while we studied that weeks notes of mine. It was the second month of seventh year, the days were growing darker and colder, but not just with the weather. Lord Voldemort was more active than he had ever been, killing anything that didn't bow down to him with pureblood. I was worried for Lily, as well as Sirius, seeing as his had been deemed a blood traitor. Speaking of Lily, she had finally asked James out, and Sirius was shocked. I, however, was the one who told her to do it, so I was less surprised than my friends and boyfriend.

"I dunno, babe. He's probably just on his man period again," Sirius yawned and stretched himself out. "What were you saying about the Giant wars?" I slapped Sirius' arm reproachfully, but smirked through it. Sirius didn't seemed too worried about the rat-lie boy's absence, but I believed that something was wrong. Peter was hardly ever around, and when he was, he was twice as nervous as usual.

"Well, the giant wars ended when the wizards came in, driving them apart and killing a majority of the population. The giants went into hiding, what was left of them at least, until the second giant wars," I said, reading off of the parchment I had taken notes on earlier this week in History. We had both taken it, Sirius for a chance to make fun of the teacher, and me so that I could get my teacher certification. I had to take every subject because I didnt know what I wanted to teach yet. Or even if I would be able to teach.

"Why did I take that class again?" Sirius muttered sleepily.

"So you could sleep in a class and make fun of the teacher behind his back," I replied, rolling my parchment up and stuffing it in my overflowing bag.

"Thank Merlin I've got you, Rene," Sirius had closed his eyes.

"C'mon babe. We've got two hours before dinner, we're going to get you a nap," I hoisted him up and led him through the hallways to the portrait. "Lacewing Flies," i said to the fat lady, and she let us in. I plopped Sirius down in one of the squishy arm chairs in front of the fire. He snuggled into the armchair.

"You... go have fun with Lily. Thanks....Babe." With that Sirius was asleep in the armchair. I felt a smile come onto my face. I kissed him on the lips and walked off to find Lily.

__________________________________________

Things seemed perfect at first. Everyone, even James and Sirius, studied for their NEWTs. And they certainly were nastily exhausting. People were falling asleep in call every which way. I began to crack under pressure, revering to my old ways. I wasn't eating as much, I drew away from my friends, and began snapping at people randomly. I was scarred also, because I knew that if Voldemort didn't kill me, my parents/ family would. I've heard that my "sister-in-law" was particularly nasty. Even then, if they couldn't get me  get me, the Ministry would take me in because I bare the last name Lestrange. I was scarred for everyone, and I knew that I certainly wasn't a good luck charm. The less relations I had to you, the safer you were.

All of a sudden, it was winter break. I couldn't stay at Hogwarts, it felt like suffocation at every turn. So I decided to go to the place that I could breathe- muggle London. As I wandered through the streets, I realized that I had not made a smart choice in regard to location. There was fear everywhere, even within the muggles eyes. But the cool air was refreshing, and the burning feeling left me feeling more awake to my surroundings than I had in many months.

However, I was not as aware as I thought I was, for my wrist were grabbed and a flutter of breath warmed my nose, accompanied by a dark female voice that whispered in my ear. I cringed at the foul breath.

"You're coming with me, sister," said the voice of Bellatrix now Lestrange, my "sister-in-law". The familiar compression of apparation crushed my spirits. There was little possibility of me getting away once I was in the clutches of Lord Voldemort.

"Well well well, if it isn't Rene Lestrange," The sallow, once handsome faced man said to me. Lord Voldemort.

"My Lord," I bowed mockingly. He snarled.

"Do not mock me! You will join me, or you will rot away while your darling brother tortures you to a slow, painful insane death,"His voice became softer, implying that he was incredibly angry.

I spat at his feet angrily, struggling against the people holding me. "I would rather die than join you!"

"Then death you will have. Rodolphus, come," Lord Voldemort beckoned my brother to him. He grabbed the scruff of my clothing.

"You did realize," my once brother snarled in my ear, playing with my long black hair, "that if the Dark Lord didn't kill you, we would?"

"I'm not an idiot," I muttered.

"You're not an idiot? And you willingly walked into muggle London?" To dolphins replied, a bitch please look on his face. He was a bitch. He dragged me down to the cellars. "I'll be back, Rene," he spat at my feet.

The months whirled by, and with those came years, until one day, Rodolphus didn't come down for a week. My cellar door was still locked. I wasn't dead yet, they wanted to use me as their punching bag, so to speak, rather than killing me instantly. Then, Lucius Malfoy came down.

"He is gone, but I am not letting you go. You will be my punching bag, instead of his," Malfoy cackled. He was older than I was, and I had heard from Bellatrix, who liked to keep me up to speed while she tortured me, that they had a little baby boy named Draco. I didn't want to judge him by his parents, he might end out to be a great kid, the black sheep of the family. I just hoped that he could escape this life.

Years still passed until I heard Lucius and Narcissa talking. Apparently, Lord Voldemort had returned.

"He's calling, Narcissa," Lucius said.

"Go, Draco and I will hide," Narcissa replied. She did care for her family, fiercely. She would do anything to protect them.

"I'll go hide mother, don't worry about me," Draco said. I heard him unlock the door to the cellar.

"Good boy," Narcissa's voice faded. Draco watched her figure retreat to their bunker. He immediately walked up to me.

"What are you doing?" I hissed/croaked.

"Saving your life," Draco muttered.

"Why?" I asked. He looked up at me, handed me my wand through the bars and opened the door out.

"You're my family, and I can't listen to your screams any longer. You've got an hour to get out before my father gets back and comes looking for you. Go, Rene, go!" He ushered me from the room, which you could not apparate out of. I got to the garden and turned on the spot, thinking desperately of one thing.

Sirius.

A/N- so how did y'all like that plot twist I threw in there? I know, I went through like twenty years in 1200 words, but the book isn't over here! It is going to be a shorter book though, not more than twenty chapters. Probably around fifteen, but I do have to get through the whole Order of the Phoenix with Rene, and then a little more. I don't want the story to spend too much time in the main series, as it is a marauders era fic, but I couldn't resist.

Don't think the marauding is me over though, I'm going to throw flash back chapters in every now and then. TTFN!