Are You With Me?

November passed and December came in. And it finally snowed. Normally it snows earlier in the season but it was too cold. The precipitation always came down as sleet or freezing rain.

“Great. Snow,” my brother said. “Think they’ll cancel school?”

“Not a chance. They’ve never done it before and I doubt today will be the exception.”

“Well at least this is the last week of classes. Then its Christmas break!”

“Not like we’re going anywhere!” I said with fake enthusiasm.

“Actually Sophie and I were thinking about going to the mall on Friday to do some Christmas shopping. I asked Dad and he said you could go…”

“You want me to go off campus?” I said turning to look at my brother.

“It would be good for you and we’re going to a different mall.”

I laughed. “And let me guess, I have to take the two goons with me, wear a wig and sunglasses.”

“I think you’d look good as a blonde.” Sebastis smiled. “They need to do Christmas shopping too.”

I laughed. “Yeah. I can imagine.”

“So…?”

“Fine I’ll go. But we’re not staying…long.”

“Yay! Ok let’s get a move on, snow bunny.”

My brother and I headed downstairs to the building’s lobby. We paused at the door, staring out at a sheet of white, Luke and Michael standing next to us.

“I can’t even see four feet from the door,” Sebastis said.

“Yeah. We’re not going outside,” Luke said. “Too much of a security risk.”

“I can see just fine,” Michael said, looking out the door.

I heard thundering on the stairs and we turned around. Our mother appeared hopped down the last couple of stairs and smiled at us.

“School’s canceled. No one can get out of their buildings.”

I smiled. “Really?”

“Yeah. But I’m worried about Kati though. She’s all the way out there by herself. I called her and she said she was fine but…”

“I can go get her,” Michael said. “I can see just fine.”

“Michael, that would be great. Let me give her a call.”

“Can I go?” I asked, looking from Michael to my mother.

“Gee, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” my mother said.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll be with Michael.”

My mother looked at Michael. “It’s up to you.”

He looked down at me. “I don’t think…”

Please? I said silently.

He frowned. We agreed not to do this when people are around.

Please?

“It might be good for her,” Sebastis said. “Why don’t we all go?”

“Oooo I like that idea!” I said. “I can pelt you with a snowball and you wouldn’t even see it coming.”

Everyone was looking at me, smiles slowly creeping up their faces.

“What?” I said.

“Ok. But Sybil can you get some rope please?”