Baby, You're A Golddigger

“So. Georgiana, tell me, who are your parents?” Mrs. Hanover asked.

Aidan told me once that parents decided your social standing in New York City. I thought he was crazy but since that was the first question she asked me…maybe not so much.

“Um…” I really didn’t know how to answer that because saying ‘Oh, I have three parents. One I’ve never met before,’ seemed a bit like over share. So instead I said, “Tiberius and Sybil Vertigo.”

“Tiberius…the Tiberius Vertigo? The Panther Elder at your school?”

“That would be him.”

“And that would make your mother…” Her eyes grew wide. “You’re both Slayer and Panther?”

“That’s what they tell me. Some days I don’t even believe it.”

She smiled. “Dear, some days I don’t believe Aidan is what he is but…it doesn’t matter really. Just that he’s happy and healthy. That’s all I ask for.”

I looked over at Aidan where he stood talking with his father and some of his father’s associates. “That’s all I want too.”

She patted my arm. “You’re good for him. He’s different. Normally he has this solemn, unapproachable look about him when he’s here. But…when he walked in with you, it was like a light had been turned on under his skin.”

I looked at her. “You really think so?”

“He loves you. That much is clear. And for a mother that’s hard to admit but…Aidan’s always had a mind of his own. He doesn’t much care for what other people think.”

“He’s been like that since I met him,” I commented. “I highly doubt it will ever change.”

“It won’t. His father’s the same way. As was his father. It’s a family trait I’m afraid.”

“It’s charming in its own way I guess.” I smiled at her.

“So. Tell me about your family. You have a brother yes?”

I nodded. “Sebastis. He’s a year younger than me but already taller.”

“Boys are like that. One day they’re no higher than your knee and the next they’re five inches taller than you.”

“Diana,” someone called from across the room.

“If you’d excuse me dear,” Mrs. Hanover said. “I have to make sure Margret doesn’t get sloshed.”

And then I was alone. It gave me a chance to admire the décor. The room was painted a red-rusty color with a white trim. They had the Christmas tree over in the corner; the room was rectangle in size. The main floor was sunk in with three steps leading down. The carpet was a light brown and the three couches, four love seats and two chairs were all white. There was a fire place directly across from the entry way. On the right wall from the entry way there was another hallway that led back to the bedrooms and bathroom. The decoration was mostly modern, glass bowls holding ornaments helped bring in the theme of Christmas.

In some ways I missed the party at the school. It was never this sophisticated; the room would be decorated by paper chains made by the lower grades. The walls would be covered in drawings done by the younglings and the tree decorated with tons of old ornaments and tons of presents under the tree. The stark bareness of this tree just made me miss the other party more.

I drifted over to the one corner, a painting catching my eye. It was one of Aidan’s, this time I wasn’t the subject. It was a landscape but I didn’t know where it was. All I knew was that it was a beach.