Sair: Part 1

Zineth yawned, laying on her horse. “How much farther, Yori? I’m tired…”

            Ian smiled. “If you’re that tired, you could ride with me and sleep. I wouldn’t let you fall.” He winked.

            Zineth stopped her horse and got off. “We’re resting, here and now. It’s daytime so I won’t pull you into one of my dreams. We’ve travelled for two days with barely any rest… even my horse is tired.” She laid down on the grass and closed her eyes, turning on her side to sleep.

            A girl ran through the trees, tripping over Zineth. She sucked in her breath and looked at her now-bleeding knee. Tears welled up in her eyes.

            A group of armed soldiers walked over to her. “Stop trying to get away. We need to hand you in right away. Stop acting like a…like a thief!”

            Zineth opened her eyes at the last word. She shook her head, gripping Yang. She slipped into the circle and pulled out her sword from the case. “Step away from the girl.”

            The soldier that spoke before stepped forward, holding his hands up. “We mean no harm, samurai. Just allow us to take back the girl and we’ll--”

            Zineth pointed Yang at him, the tip of the sword only an inch away from his face. “I am no samurai. You have nothing to do with this girl. If you don’t leave now, I will take you and your men on and tie each of you to the tree, half-naked.”

            The soldier behind her made his first move. He pulled out his sword and roared as he slashed his sword down towards her.

            Zineth swiftly and quickly spun around, meeting his sword with hers. The swords that clashed with hers made a clink sound with every forced clashing. She heard her name being called from the campsite. She shook her head. “Idiots,” she breathed and quickly knocked each man unconscious. She smiled at Ian, Yori, and Anix. “No need to be worried. No one can win against me. Anyways, I need a bit of help. I have rope in my bag that Dreamer returned. It’s in the first pouch in the front. Ian, you go get it. Anix and Yori, help me take off their clothes. I made them an offer, and the refused. Then--”

            The girl tugged on Zineth’s shirt. She smiled up at Zineth and held out her hands. “Mommy!”

            Zineth raised an eyebrow. “M-Mommy? Who?”

            The girl wrinkled her nose and giggled, still keeping her hands up. “You, mommy. Well, you’re the only person that has helped me. And I don’t have any parents. So, now you’re my mommy, okay?” She grinned.

            Zineth sighed, patting the girl’s head, giving in. “For the time being, I’ll agree to that. I mean, how hard could it be to take care of a small girl? I took care of myself for the majority of my life.” She turned to Anix who was laughing. “You guys strip them to their trousers, and tie them to the tree. I’m going to take a nap and ask this kid a few questions.” She smiled and picked her up, walking away.

            The girl turned towards Anix and Yori, making a face at them. She smiled at Zineth, hugging her tightly. She laid down beside Zineth, their hairs reaching each other.

            Zineth smiled, staring up at the sky. “What’s your name?”

            “Layla.”

            “How old are you?”

            “Seven turning eight.”