why girls are taught to not cut their hair

I thought this might help for people who are trans, genderfluid, agender etc. and don't have accepting parents of letting you cut your hair.

i always had long hair, but more than having long hair i had hair which according to our society is "beautiful", long, silky, and straight.

i had people, even complete strangers complement me on my hair. some people even told me how beautiful i was because of it. i would smile , nod and thank them. that's what you're supposed to do when someone compliments you right?

but inside i had a secret. i wanted to cut my hair. and not just a little, i wanted a pixie cut. when i told people they told me not to go through with it. "it would look so ugly" "why would you do that" "you're so beautiful with your long hair" "such a beautiful girl like you cutting your hair, why?" but in spite of someone's opinion, i cut off 15 inches of hair last year , gifting myself the haircut i wanted .

i loved it.

cutting my hair is one of the best feelings in the world. but it has be thinking "i was always physically free to cut my hair, so why did it take me so long to do it?"
and the truth was : i didn't feel free. i felt like a prisoner with my hair.

it was something much greater holding me back. society.

what society and media teaches us about hair whether it's body shape, skin color, or clothing choices , society has laid out a very clear and stringent rule book regarding what beauty is supposed to look like for females.

and this rule book is shared with us at a very young age. after all shouldn't little girls learn first and foremost that they are prized for their beauty above all else?

and the same goes for hair.
jasmine, ariel, pocahontas, sleeping beauty, rapunzel. what do all these disney princess have in common? long silky beautiful hair.
and we all know girls are supposed to want to be princesses and that boys want to marry them.

but the conditioning doesn't stop there.