Phase 8: The Mustache

Once, Drew and I were up late drinking some tea. Our parents had gone to bed, so we were basically alone in the house. We happened to be in that weird sibling mood when everything is funny.

We decided that it would be hilarious to offset all of the picture frames on the walls of our home, since our mother was OCD. So, high on whatever was in that tea, we crept around the house tilting all the picture frames littering the walls.

The next morning, when we were sitting around the breakfast table, she took notice and asked why all the picture frames were off. Drew blamed me immediately. My mother blew up on me, and suddenly, the prank wasn't that funny. I spent over an hour in my room crying. Drew felt so bad when he saw how upset I was.

We made a pact that day to never throw each other under the bus again. We'd both take responsibility equally for whatever we did if caught. I couldn't help but think of this pact as Linch came storming towards us, red-faced with an ice pack on his bum.

"YOU!" he boomed, pointing an accusing finger at me, "You did this!"

"What did I do?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. I gave Adam a subtle nudge, indicating for him to stand off to the side. A shot him a hard look before he could object, and he ducked away.

"You know exactly what happened, Miss Knox!" He screamed. This time he said my last name without silencing the "k". It took a lot not to crack an amused smile.

"Sir, first off, I really have no clue what you're talking about. Second, the "k" is silent." I said calmly.

"I couldn't care less how your last name is pronounced," He growled, "I care about reprimanding you for gluing thumb tacks to my office chair!"

"Someone glued tacks on your chair?" I asked with a sly smile, "How brilliant."

He blinked, then slowly stood up straighter. "So you did do it." he confirmed.

I sighed, "I think you know the answer to that one. So, what are you going to do? Fire me?" I smirked, then patted his head. "See you on the flip side, Linch."

I turned and skipped away. I heard his huff behind me, then stomp away. Quite frankly, i'm surprised he didn't have me removed from the building. Maybe he wasn't smart enough. Or maybe he needed my assistance for the day.

Adam appeared on my left, and Liam on my right. "Um, Brinley?" Liam started, "We need to get the blood off your face. People are staring."

I turned to him in mock shock. "Now you don't like my face either? I thought we were fork buddies for life!"

He rolled his eyes and pulled me into the bathroom. I pulled down the toilet seat cover and sat down. Adam grabbed a paper towel and wet it, then stalked towards me.

I rolled my eyes, "I can do it myself, ya know."

"I know," he stated as he started cleaning the blood, "but this makes me feel all doctor-like and cool, so i'm going to do it."

"Whatever," I said with a laugh.

He smiled and focused on wiping. He'd finished most most of the area under my nose when Liam spoke up.

"Anything I can help with?" He asked.

"Sure," Adam turned towards him, "could you get me another paper towel?"

Liam nodded and grabbed a roll. Not long after, I had two guys towering over me, one examining my face like a creeper and the other wiping my face like a creeper. Was I the only one who thought this was creepy?

"Okay then," I said while standing up, "I think that's good." I stepped in front of the mirror to find that he'd only cleaned the area under my nose. In fact, he'd created an intricate mustache with the cleaned area. I gaped at my reflection and turned to scowl at him. He and Liam were standing in the corner almost innocently, trying to contain their laughter.