Chapter Fourteen

Hey everyone! I AM BACK! I'm so so incredibly sorry for not updating! It's been forever! A LOT has been going on, but I hope you like this update of Ghostly! :D

{Chapter Fourteen}

   "Okay, so what on earth was that about?" I demanded as I was being pulled by Nick.

   "No time to explain, we need to get you out of here as soon as possible," he answered. I stopped stubbornly and yanked my wrist free from his grip.

   "I don't think so," I snapped, crossing my arms, "I'm not going anywhere with you until my questions are answered. Who are you, really? And how can you see ghosts? Heck, how can I see ghosts? Who's 'we'? And how do you know that-"

   "Lily, shut up!" Nick interrupted my interrogation, "You are not safe here, and I am trying to help you. So please just quiet yourself for a few moments while I get backup."

   "Backup? Like in those-"

   "Shut up!"

   I closed my mouth, only to open it when a familiar face appeared.

   "Lily-"

  "I am so done," I seethed, turning to Nick, "You know him?"

   He nodded, "We're good friends, actually."

   "Nick, I am going nowhere with him," I growled, pointing at Alec. He frowned.

   "I'm afraid that's not possible."

   I scoffed, "Oh, it's very possible! Nick, you seem like a nice fellow and all, but I don't really know you so I don't trust you enough to take me places. And assuming that you are acquainted with him-" I couldn't even bring myself to say his name, "-then those places are probably going to be strange. I can't afford to 'go missing' again- I was just kidnapped! I barely got away, no thanks to you," I glared at Alec.

   "Look, Lily, I'm sor-"

   "Save it," I responded harshly. He looked at me pitifully, but what he did really hurt, and I don't think I was ready to forgive him just yet.

   "Lily," Nick explained, "I told you, you are not safe here. Once we get you to a safe place, we will answer every single question you have. However, we do know that you cannot stay here. You will be endangering not only yourself, but your parents, friends, and everyone you care about. Harrison and Malice will stop at no ends to get you, do you understand?"

   I was bewildered, "Why me?"

   Alec suddenly looked alarmed, "We need to leave now."

   "No-" I began, but Nick grabbed my forearm and we vanished.

   Becoming invisible is a strange sensation. I can't say it was unpleasant, but certainly weird to say the least. Like having a translucent blanket over your head, where you could see your surroundings through a milky film but those around you pay no attention to you whatsoever.

   And we flew.

   And it was awesome.

   I wasn't sure how we were flying, but we were. And I wasn't going to question it, because it probably had to do with bending the laws of physics or magic or something that I wouldn't be able to understand. Plus I was too busy admiring the bird's eye view I had of the city to say anything.

   All too soon were we back on the ground. My head spun a little, but that was to be expected and it wasn't unbearable. I looked around at my surroundings and it was quite familiar- an old shack. I had been here before, many years ago...

   "This way," Nick gently guided me into the rotting shack, plunging everything into darkness. When had I last been here? I know I've been here, I just can't remember. The boy and the ghost silently lead me down to the heart of the shack. It was much larger than it had appeared on the outside, with winding staircases and upper and lower levels and- okay, it probably wasn't a shack and was only disguised as one on the outside, because there is no way a shack could be this large. But it did smell of moist, rotting wood.

   "Where are-" I began, but Alec cut me off, "I live here, remember?"

   I live here, remember?

   I live here.

   I live here.

   Suddenly, as if a dam had burst, memories flooded my mind like a roaring river. A younger Alec, a younger me, together in this very shack, though much smaller then than now. Piercing eyes, blue light, tears.

   "What are we doing here?" I pondered aloud.

   "You're staying here. It's only place safe for you," Nick said.

   "But it's in my own backyard! What about my parents?" I protested.

   He sighed, "We've sent your parents a letter. They won't worry about you for the time being."

   "What did the lett-"

   "It's not important," Alec once again interrupted me, "What is important is that you're safe and that no one finds you."

   I scoffed, "How do I even know you're protecting me? I can't trust you after what you did. So how do I know if you're the good guys?"

   A split-second flash of pain entered his eyes, but it was gone before I got a good look. But it was his response that worried me even more.

   "You don't."