General Guidelines and Mechanics

ROUND TWO: A PICTURE OF WORDS

Artwork by slimesunday

They say a picture paints a thousand of words. Using the image above, the Top 25 are tasked to write a story that would convey their own interpretation of the art and express it through the weaving of words. While it may seem easy and it is no new thing especially for the Laspags who have already joined contests beyond count, being the sadists the organizers are, you should expect that there's a twist behind the seemingly easy mechanics for this round. 

For this round, you are required to write a FIVE-SENTENCE STORY

It is up to you how many words will you end up with, as long as the piece is composed of ONLY five sentences. If the entry exceeds beyond that, you are AUTOMATICALLY disqualified so make sure to check before sending. 

But wait, it doesn't end there. 

We have tons of literary devices and we don't wanna waste the opportunity to incorporate them in your pieces, so for this round, you will have to use THREE different literary devices in your entries. This time, please bold the sentences with the literary devices. Failure to do will result to awarding of deductions (minus 2 per sentence/s that are not put into bold text).

Here are the LITERARY DEVICES to be used (all three must appear in your entry): 

Anagram

Definition:Anagrams are an extremely popular form of literary device wherein the writer jumbles up parts of the word to create a new word. From the syllables of a phrase to the individual letters of a word, any fraction can be jumbled to create a new form. Anagram is a form of wordplay that allows the writer to infuse mystery and a little interactive fun in the writing so that the reader can decipher the actual word on their own and discover a depth of meaning to the writing.

Example:

An anagram for "debit card" is "bad credit". As you can see, both phrases use the same letters. By mixing the letters a bit of humor is created.

Chiasmus

Definition:Chiasmus is a figure of speech containing two phrases that are parallel but inverted to each other.

Example:

You can take the patriot out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the patriot.

Kennings

Definition:The use of Kennings in literature is characteristically related to works in Old English poetry where the author would use a twist of words, figures of speech or magic poetic phrase or a newly created compound sentence or phrase to refer to a person, object, place, action or idea. The use of imagery and indicative, direct and indirect references to substitute the proper, formal name of the subject is known as kennings. The use of kennings was also prevalent in Old Norse and Germanic poetry.

Example:

Kennings are rare in modern day language. Here are a few examples from Beowulf:

Battle-sweat = blood
Sky-candle = sun
Whale-road = ocean
Light-of-battle = sword

(Retrieved from http://literary-devices.com/)

And lastly, since a picture paints a thousand of words, the theme for this round is HYPERGRAPHIA. GMG, bes

  ***  

ELIMINATION

The remaining 28 contestants were divided into 7 groups with 4 members each. This round, the member with the highest rank in the group will automatically pass the next round. The basis of the judging is by giving ranks in each entry of the group with 1 as the highest and 4 as the lowest.

Upon posting the entries, the groups shall be disclosed but the writers will stay anonymous. 

May the odds be ever in your favor!

    ***    

MECHANICS

1. Write a oneshot story of any genre and of any language.

2. Collaborations are not allowed.

3. Emoticons are highly discouraged unless really necessary. Please be formal upon writing your entry.

4. The entry should be FRESH and ORIGINAL. It should never have been published or submitted to any contests before.

5. Should be in .docx format.

FORMAT OF SUBMISSION:

Subject:  (Entry title & Username)

Body: (attached .docx file of your entry. File name should be the title of your entry)

Send it to diabolicalwriters@gmail.com.

*NOTE: Entries that will not follow the format will not be acknowledged.

6. Deadline: January 11, 2017 at exactly 11:59 PM. Extensions will NOT be given.

7. The scoring will follow the simple ranking system.

***

IMPORTANT NOTES

*There will be a reply once we receive your entry. If you do not get a reply within 2 days since your submission, please do notify us.

*DO NOT tell anyone which entry is yours. Disclosure of entry will result in immediate disqualification.

*FANFICTIONS are NOT allowed.

For inquiries, please do comment below.