Chapter 4

"Why did you bring her here?" Danny said, glancing at Steve's office where Maddy sat staring at the floor.

"I had to Danny. She lost her father, and her older brother was killed in battle several years ago." Steve said, looking sadly at Danny. "She has no one left."

"What about her mom?" Danny asked.

"She died of a heart attack when Maddy was 11." Steve replied with a sad frown.

"What are we going to do now?" He said.

"Find out who did this." Steve answered, his voice serious.

"Where do we start?" Danny muttered. "Max didn't find much. Only that our vic died from a sniper shot to the chest. He was shot at around 12 this morning."

"So that means Matt was targeted." Steve replied thoughtfully.

"Matt is our vic's name?" Danny said.

"Yeah. But he was a good guy. He was an author! Why would he be targeted?" Steve asked, confused.

"Money?" Danny suggested.

"Maybe. Right now I need to ask Maddy some questions." He answered.

"Are you alright?" Steve asked, walking into his office where Maddy was seated.

"About as good as you would think right now." She muttered in reply.

"Do you know why your dad was targeted?" He asked her gently.

"He was an author. Everybody loved him. There was no reason for anyone to want to hurt him." She said.

"What about money?" He replied.

"He gave most of the money he made to charity. He only kept enough to get us through and a little extra in case something unexpected came up." She answered with a small smile. "He was such a good man."

"I know he was." He said. "Max said he died at around 12 this morning. Do you know what he was doing?"

"No, I spent the night with one of the other players last night so we could go to the game together. Maybe if I hadn't I could've stopped him." She said, tears starting to run down her face.

"There was no way you could have known this was going to happen. It's not your fault." Steve replied, trying to make her feel better. "I'm going to take you to my house to stay. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine." She said, standing up.

They walked out of his office. Danny looked up. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm taking her to my house." Steve replied.

"Here, take the Camaro." Danny said, pulling out his keys. "I'm going to stay here for a while."

"Thanks, Danno." Steve said, appreciating the offer.

"The Camaro is yours?" Maddy said. "Nice car." She managed a small smile.

"Thank you." He replied, smiling softly.