Chapter 2

Steve glanced around as he walked into the noisy gym. He looked at the scoreboard. It was the 4th quarter, tied 56-56 with 34 seconds left on the clock. He saw the familiar jersey with the number 12 printed on the back as the basketball player he'd seen grow up and turn into a smart, athletic college student dribbled down the court after getting a fast break. She dribbled to the left and made an easy lay-up, making the score 58-56 with 25 seconds left. The other team hurried to get the ball back on their side of the court. They set a screen, giving one of their players a wide open three-point shot. The ball swished through the net, it was now 58-59 with only 10 seconds left. Number 12 caught a pass from the point guard inside the paint and spun, making the defense confused and opening her up for a shot. The clock ran out just as the ball swished through the net, making the final score 60-59.
He smiled, remembering how many times he had been in this gym cheering for the same team. He watched the winning team all cheering and hugging 12 as she ran off the court smiling. They picked her up and put her on their shoulders, which was surprising considering she was at least 4 inches taller than all of them.
He walked up slowly, appearing just as they set her down. She turned around, seeing him smiling sadly behind her.
"Steve!" She shouted, hugging him. "It's been forever since I've seen you!"
"I know," he answered," I've missed you."
"Is something wrong?" She said, seeing the look on his face.
"I need to talk to you." He replied. "It's about your father."