Chapter 4

Just a quick A/N, there are a lot of references to horse equipment in this particular chapter so if you are at all confused, don't hesitate to ask :)

----------------

Chapter 4

For one second I just hung there, then gravity kicked in and I begun to fall forward.

A million thoughts ran through my mind, every memory I had as a child, every thing I had ever done right up until that moment when he let me go.

“This is it…I am going to die.”

Just as my feet left the ground I decided I really didn’t want to die.

I screamed. I screamed as loud as I possibly could, praying that God would protect me somehow.

“Bethany!” Peter yelled.

His voice was promptly followed by the shuffling of feet and two hands locking around my ankle.

The rest of my body swung down and slammed into the hard rock. I grabbed onto a couple of rocks that were jutting out of the ledge and locked my arms so I wasn’t hanging.

“Pull me up!” I screamed, feeling my face flush with all the blood rushing to my head.

Despite his tries to keep my body from scraping against the rock I ended up with a strawberry on my wrist, burns and cuts on my hands and several scrapes on my arms where the fabric had torn.

Once I was back upright on the dusty ledge I checked myself over for any major injuries. Finding none I turned my attention to the boy standing in front of me.

The expression on his face was completely unreadable, and his eyes were completely void of emotion.

He opened and shut his mouth several times in an attempt to speak, but no words came.

“Well?” I said finally, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen between us. “Do you have nothing to say about this?

“Do you realize what you could’ve done? What you did?” I said crossly, throwing my hands up in the air and pacing around.

“Do you have no concept that I could’ve died just now?” I walked back over to the ledge and pointed down. “That is no small drop!”

He made no move to reply, he just continued looking ahead off the cliff with his eyes wide.

I stared at him until he finally made eye contact with me. I raised an eye brow and folded my arms, silently asking him for an answer.

Suddenly as if something had struck him, he reeled back against the wall of mountain behind him, holding his head with both hands and grimacing.

I stood there watching as he keeled over and fell down on his knees, he sucked in the air through his gritted teeth in pain.

Then just as suddenly, it went away. He stood and looked around as if searching for what had caused him this silent agony.

After spinning around several times he focused on me.

He looked at the cuts on my hands and the scrapes on my arms like he hadn’t seen them before.

“Oh my God Bethany, what happened?” He ran over to me and put his hands on my shoulders.

I watched as he scanned my face and arms, taking in each scratch and bruise.

His hands slid down my arms, and he took both my hands in his and gently flipped them over. He softly traced the lines in my palms with a calloused finger, I winced when he brushed over an open wound.