Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next few days I spent exploring the countryside with the four siblings.

They told me the story about how they came to Narnia five years ago, and had been happily ruling ever since. They told me about the different traditions of the land, and introduced me to the friends we met during our explorations.

When I asked them about the camp, and why they were here in the middle of nowhere instead of back at their castle, they told me it was because of a Fall Festival called Haerfest.

It was a week long event, celebrating the first day of Autumn and the harvest season.

Each night was made up of different feasts and dances, welcoming the changes of the season. Tonight was the start of the festival.

I had spent the majority of the day with the two young queens, helping them pick out dresses to wear for tonight.

When I had finally escaped the confines of the tailors tent I ran for the nearest open space I could find.

At the edge of the camp was a sloping valley that backed right to the tallest cliffs I had ever seen.

Each crag higher than the next like a staircase to the sky, and in the distance I could see the many waterfalls cascading down the mountainside.

In the valley were the horses belonging to the royals and those accompanying them.

A beautiful dappled grey stallion caught my eye as he galloped up the hillside, his brown and black mane flowing in the wind and his shining black hooves pounding at the ground.

I closed my eyes and imagined myself on his back, the wind moulding around me and whipping my hair around, I imagined the speed, the two of us moving like a watercolor blurred across the canvas. No longer a horse and rider, we were just one creature flying across a golden sea of grass...

"He's mine."

I jumped at the sound of the voice and whirled around to face the owner. Peter smiled at me, walking over to stand beside me.

"Sorry if I startled you." a smile ghosting past his lips.

"It's alright." I shrugged, looking back out towards the field.

 "You like horses?" He asked, following my gaze towards the two galloping beside eachother. 

"MmmHmm, David used to take me riding when I was young." I smiled at the memory of us driving upstate for a weekend. 

"Oh... and this David fellow is a friend of yours?" he said skeptically. 

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, at the same time he peeked over to read my emotions. I grinned.

"You have no worries. David was my brother." I looked over again, he looked a little relieved. "So your horse, whats his name?"