So Long, Princess • Carrie Fisher

She fixed an out of place hair from her tightly made bun, and dug it deep into her head. She had prepared her hair herself, two singular buns on the side of her head. She bowed her head, shifting her white dress from side to side.

Beside her, Billie, Gary, her mother. Eddie, her brother. Mark, Harrison, Peter, George, James, and so many more. They could see her and she could see them. They stared so intently at her, and her cheeks gushed red because she was not sure why.

She then looked to the side and found a rather strange object. A dull, wooden box. Curiosity plagued all, and so she gently opened it. Inside, there was a bag, a bag full of the challenges she had faced, and all the struggles she endured. She observed the bag, then stored it in her pocket. Yes, they brought her strength, but they also gave her courage, and confidence in herself.

She climbed into the spacecraft that was ready for takeoff. She raised the foot of her dress, carefully stepping into the X-Wing fighter.

"I've always wanted to ride one of these." She thought to herself. She looked over the edge of the fighter and not only found the people she saw earlier, but a whole crowd. People dressed just like her, holding her books, and reminding her of all the achievements she had reached, and what had made her life meaningful and worth the while.

She slowly closed the hatchet and turned on the fighter. Beeps and clicks, she heard, then, from outside, something that caught her off guard.

"We love you." Humanity said.

She smiled, wiping a sole tear from her cheek.

"I know." She whispered, raising the fighter into the air. All her family waved goodbye, and they all blew her kisses and smiled at her.

She then blasted off into the stars, to a galaxy far, far away.

So long, princess, and may the force be with you. Always.