Regret • Like a Bullet

(Tie-in to Like a Bullet)

Laurel watched Pietro sit on the bench overlooking the blue Mediterranean Sea. She could only see his back, but she could sense he was not feeling well. She was worried and she began to slowly walk towards him. As she turned to sit next to him, he glanced at her before returning his sight to the sea.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing." He slightly smiled, placing his hand on Laurel's cheek. She returned the smile and leaned her head into his chest.

"Just tell me, Maximoff. There's no point in lying to me."

"It's nothing really. I just miss Wanda."

"I miss her too. I also miss my friends. My job." She paused. "But it's fine, right?"

"The point of all of this was to run away from all of our problems. To be with each other all the time and get to know each other better."

Laurel looked up at him. His eyes sparkled with the ocean, his words fading into silence. She always got distracted by the man she loved so much. The man who had shown her compassion and protection for five months. In turn, Pietro would often get distracted by her beauty as well. The beauty of the woman who had brought him peace and tranquility. Love and acceptance. The woman who had opened up his heart in ways he could never imagine.

 The woman who had opened up his heart in ways he could never imagine

"I understand." She said. "But it's normal to miss someone who you deeply love. It's okay to regret all of this. I've also regretted this. I've been where you are now."

"So what do you do?" He asked.

"Well, I see you. I see the reason why I chose to do this and I see the reason why I chose you." Laurel grabbed Pietro's hand and looked straight into his eyes. The eyes that would always melt her. "What we have is special, the bond that we share is strong, and I knew that when I told you that I wanted to leave with you. Everything happens for a reason, Pietro. And we deserved this."

He smiled once again and placed a gentle kiss on Laurel's forehead.

"Thank you, Laurel."