Xavier's Gift

Thank you meowmeowmeow23 for adding me to your read later list. I hope I someday I make it to your reading now list. Hope you enjoyed the story!! This is the last chapter. It will be followed by an A/N for anyone interested.

There was very little light as we all made our way through the woods. My shoulder was aching, but I tried to ignore it as we made our way West toward Barremeter. When we first started out Amelia and Si Am took off, and I assumed they were feeding. I hoped they weren't eating anyone I knew. Dante stayed close and kept looking over his shoulder to be sure no one was following behind us.

I looked at Xavier and he glanced over at me. I smiled and he reached out and took my hand, smiling back. The going was rough and I tripped often. We hadn't brought anything with us except the spellbook that had been in my family for years. Xavier was carrying it now, but I felt nervous having it out of my hands. I felt worried about the wound on my back. It felt off, like it was tingling somehow.

My stomach growled loudly and Xavier said, "Sorry, my love. A little further and we'll stop and light a fire and cook up something for you." He looked back at Dante, "Can you find a little something that Hildie can eat? And see if you can find the girls."

Dante nodded his head in confirmation and took off leaving just Xavier and I stumbling through the woods. It didn't seem that we were being followed and I was grateful of that. "Where are we headed, Xavier?"

"I thought we could head down to New Orleans. There are a lot of our kind down there and we could get our feet under us before deciding where we want to go next."

New Orleans! That was at least a week or more away on foot. I wasn't sure I could make it that far, but I smiled at Xavier and hoped he didn't see the worry in my eyes. I could feel a fever brewing in my shoulder and I hoped we would stop soon so I could try to clean it and maybe try a spell.

It was difficult traveling at night, but when it came on morning we were far enough away that Xavier felt it safe to beg lodging for the day from a farmer. He let us stay in his barn and the vampires were able to bury themselves under the hay enough to be out of the sunlight. I curled up in a pile myself and fell immediately asleep.

It's dark when I wake up and Xavier is nowhere to be found. I was expecting there to be the smell of hay in my nose, but I quickly realize I'm back in the cave, and that I had been dreaming of sleeping in a barn.

Xavier comes in and says, "Oh, good. You're up. I hope you slept well."

I smile at him, "Yeah. What time is it?"

"Not too late. I think it's around 11:30."

"Damn! I must have my days and nights mixed up. I'm usually going to bed at this time, not waking up. That must be what happens when you stay up all day and all night." I stretch and yawn.

"I brought you a sandwich from the diner. I was able to avoid your police friends, and get there and back without anyone of importance seeing me." He hands me a bag and a cup of soda.

"Thank you!" I tear into the bag and eat quickly, barely tasting the chicken salad on wheat. I drink the soda down fast, too and then need to find a place to use the bathroom. Embarrassing!! Xavier has left the cave while I was eating and as I walk back from where I've just been I find him wandering near the river.

"Walk with me. I want to go to that place overlooking the river where we went before." He holds his hand out to me. I look at it before taking it and walking with him back toward the house.

As we walk we talk of inconsequential things. I tell him of the dog we had when I was 5 and he talks of the animals he never could have because they always knew what he was and didn't exactly like him, or his friends.