Chapter One

He sneered at me, his brown eyes full of hate after I let him know about my standing in the school. He was the star football player that always tries to tell me he’s cooler than me; I had to laugh at that. Everybody knew me here and any other schools in this town; girls want me and guys want to be me. There's no way in hell a football player could outstand the hottest guy in the school. No sorry let me rephrase that…I meant to say world.

“Oh and your girlfriend Rachel agrees with me. She told me all night long how great I was.” I started to make motions of how she was acting the night before. His eyes almost went red with anger as he swung his fist at me. It caught my jaw but barely hurt; I’ve dealt with my share of jealous guys and knew how to cope with pain. I chuckled. “You hit like a girl Nick.”

“I’ve had enough of you Darius, everybody has. You better watch your back.” He growled and walked away, everyone who was crowding around us in the hallway scattered like rats not wanting to deal with me. You really think that’ll scare me? I walked away with a smile on my face to class.

Before I came home I bought a bag of pot from my dealer, I was out and needed some to cope with my mother. After my dad died when I was 14 he put me in charge, by that age I was already like him. I had many girlfriends, got into more than enough fights and lost my virginity. I almost never was a virgin, by the time puberty hit I was off. I treated my mom the same way he did, she was a whiny bitch who deserved nothing but disrespect so I gave her just that.

I walked in the door and threw my bag on the floor heading to the kitchen. My mother was in front of the sink filling a big silver pot full of water.

“Hi sweetie have a good day at school?” she always asked me things like that, she tried to act like a real mother but she wasn’t. She was my food, money and shelter. Nothing else.

“Fuck off.” I said while grabbing a bag of chips from the cupboard. She frowned but stayed quiet because she knew what was good for her. I walked down the hallways to my room and shut my door grabbing the bag of weed from my pocket.

~Dream

I sat on the hard cobble stone floor in a cell surrounded by iron bars. The air smelled of wet stone and a putrid metal scent close to the stench of blood. I looked around but could not see beyond the thick black bars. The setting seemed like it should be cold but it was far from it, I was sweating at the mugginess of the air. Looking down at myself I saw I wore a raggedy grey t-shirt that looked like it was white at some point and dark grey sweatpants with a few holes in the knees from wear.

I’ve been here before, many times actually. My mind keeps on replaying this dream over and over again for no apparent reason. The first few times frightened me but now it seemed normal. It was just a dream after all, nothing could hurt me. Nothing was real.

I heard a growl come from behind the bars but it did not faze me, it happened every time. The door straight ahead swung open and a dark figure stood in the shadows; red eyes peeked through them staring at me fiercely. No matter how many times this has happened the eyes always seemed to bore into me, like they were looking into my soul rather than at me.