Ha'ya (Modesty)

Ha'ya (Modesty)

# My Islam

In France after picking groceries in the supermarket, a Niqabi (face covered up) sister stood in the line to pay. After a few minutes, her turn came up at the checkout counter.

The checkout girl was a non-Hijaabi Arab Muslim girl, began to scan the items of the Niqabi sister one by one, and after a while looked at her with arrogance and said: ”We have many problems in this country & your Niqab is one of them!

We, ...immigrants, are here for trade and not to show our Deen or history! If you want to practice your Deen and wear Niqaab then go back to your Arab country and do whatever you want!!"

The Niqaabi sister stopped putting her grocery in the bag and lifted up her Niqaab…

The checkout girl was in total shock. The Niqabi girl who was blonde with blue eyes told her: "I am a French girl, not an Arab immigrant. This is my country and THIS IS MY ISLAM.

You born Muslims sold your Deen and we bought it from you!"



# You, yes you, staring at me
by Anonymous

You, yes you staring at me,

Either portraying me as a terrorist or pitying me

For you think that I’m oppressed.

Is that how you observe others, by judging them for how they are dressed?

You, yes you staring at me,

Wondering why, as an American living in my own country,

the land of the free,

Where I can be independent but instead I am letting some piece of covering cloth oppress me.

Is that what you think the piece of cloth does, it oppresses me and my identity?

You, yes you starting at me,

With dirty looks for leaving my home covered like that, for how could it be,

It’s an insult on the woman of this country, for they worked so hard to achieve their equality.

Is that what you think that piece of cloth does, denies me of my parity?

You, yes you starting at me,

Lost at the thought and the possibility,

Of how I’m willing to be held captive of a religion that degrades women like me.

Is that what you think my religion does, holds me captive of my liberty.

You, yes you staring at me,

Pondering and dignifying yourself, and maybe just smiling to yourself a bit,

Thankful that you are not me,

For you would never want to be me

And oppress yourself of your body.

For you are smarter than that because you use that body

To attract others with your beauty,

For without it you feel a sense of insecurity.

Me, yes this is me,

The person you’re staring at so obviously, the one in the piece of cloth, hiding her identity.

I wish to clarify a few things for you,