(34) Hard Choices

I suddenly woke up, in the middle of the night. My heart was quickly racing. It was all just a bad dream? I thought so, but then I recalled the recent events and that was surely not a dream. I looked to my side, Zelena was peacefully asleep. I sighed, as I carefully got up trying not to wake her. I walked down the hallway, taking the stairs to go to the kitchen. The kitchen and living room still had decorations hanged up from my birthday surprise. I got to the refrigerator and poured myself a cup of water. I sat on the counter and rested my head on the wall. I closed my eyes, as I took slow sips. My feet dangled, just like they did when I was a kid. My chest felt tight, like I was holding something inside. I did what I had to do, or at least that's what I tell myself. That special way Sam use to look at me, sparkles in his eyes, but the way he looked at me yesterday, destroyed. It had to happen. It had to happen. I continued to repeat that inside my head for a while. I couldn't continue leading him on. I did the right thing.

I finished drinking my water and decided to head up to my room. I walked quietly up the stairs and down the hallway. I slipped inside my room, and shut the door carefully. I crawled back in to bed, covering my body with a blanket. As I was about to close my eyes, someone tapped my shoulder.

"May?" Zelena mumbled.

I rolled around to face her. "Yeah?" I whispered, as I looked at her sleepy face.

She leaned closer to me and wrapped her arms around my neck, resting her head on my pillow.  I patted her like if she were a pup. I wrapped my arms around her, filling me up with comfort.

"You have no idea how much I'm going to miss you.." I whispered in her ear.

She remained quiet and tightened her grip. She turned her face to me and smiled. " This isn't the last you'll see of me.." She giggled in her sleep.

I looked at her confused, wondering if she was either talking in her sleep or actually saying that to me. Maybe she was going crazy, who knows.

I kissed her forehead as I smiled to myself, and let go of her. I took one last look at her before closing my eyes. I was surely going to miss her more than I did the first time.

-------------------------------------------------------
For a Sunday, I woke up earlier than usual. I took a shower, brushed my teeth and got dressed.  I wore an ivory blouse, paired with black jeans and for a pop of color, I slipped on my red converse. I walked down the hall and I jumped down the stairs cheerfully, receiving a weird look when I got to the bottom from Matt who was sitting on the couch.

"What's wrong with you?" Matt asked, eyebrow raised.

I shrugged. " I don't know, I feel...happy." I said, as I looked at him. "Wanna make breakfast with me?"

Matt's eyes went wide. "Well that's never happened before. May Lee, asking me, out of all people, to make breakfast with her?" He looked shocked.

"Oh please, stop overreacting." I rolled my eyes, as I walked in to the kitchen. "If you want to help , you are more than welcomed." I said, loud enough for him to hear me from where he was.

I took out the necessary ingredients and set them on the counter. I took out a bowl and cracked three eggs. As I started to whisk the eggs, someone brushed their body against my shoulder. I stopped and looked up at Zelena who had sat on the counter.

"Morning." She said, letting out a yawn and rubbed her eyes.

"Good morning." I replied, and began to whisk again.