Writing Realistic Characters

How do you make sure your main character and her supporting cast are realistic, and not a bunch of cardboard cutouts walking around?

Note: I'm going to say "she" so I don't have to keep switching between she/he the entire time, sorry boy characters!

Here are some of the biggest mistakes I see when creating characters, and these aren't just on wattpad, I've seen many of these mistakes in published books too!

1) Unrealistic Reactions/Behavior

I put this as number one because I see this one the most. Say for example, someone (usually a love interest "bad boy" type) says something SORT of insulting. The main character flies off the handle and totally loses her temper, hits him, smashes something. Whatever ridiculous reaction you can think of.

When I read something like this, I don't think "Oh, great scene" I think "Oh man, this girl needs anger management sessions". 

Why? Because this is not a realistic reaction. 

Further examples I've actually read in published work, include characters doing the opposite, having something really horrifying happen to them, and not reacting with the proper emotions, or the book doesn't handle the subject like it's something important that has happened.

There was one book I read recently (which will remain unnamed) where the character is violently sexually assaulted. Her reaction is realistic at first, she's traumatized. But two chapters later the subject is glossed over and it's business as usual.

You don't just "get over" something like that. Not in a few days, at least.

If your character has seen someone die, or been assaulted, or any manner of terrible things, they need to react the way a real human being would. The author has the job of walking the fine line between describing accurate emotions and feelings over the subject, and keeping the consequences of that event from taking over the book  (if it's not supposed to).

2)  Your Character is Mary Sue

Poor Mary Sue, the most hated person in literature. She's too perfect, she's too flawless. Nobody likes her because EVERYONE likes her (at least, all the fictional people do).

If your scene is something like the following, you have a Mary Sue on your hands:

I looked in the mirror, running my fingers through my long, flowing brown hair. My reflection widened huge brown eyes back at me and cherry colored lips turned downwards. God, I wish I was prettier. I couldn't understand why the hottest guy in school wanted me.

Feeling slightly nauseous after that one? Sure sign of a Mary Sue. If your character has no flaws, inside or out, she is boring.

We all have flaws.Nobody has the perfect hair, eyes,nose,lips,body and personality. Everyone has something irritating about them, or something they're bad at. Nobody has ALL the boys in school after them. 

So when we read a character like that, it rings false to us.

3) Your Character Has No Goals

Sure, if it's an action story, her goal can be to stay alive. But wasn't she a person before that? What were her dreams/goals/passions? Our passions leave their marks on us.

Random Examples:

-She was a ballerina, and all she wanted to do was be on stage. Results: She's graceful, she's a perfectionist, and her feet are REALLY messed up. She's not afraid of pain.

-She was passionate about writing and always wanted to be an author. Results: She's a daydreamer and quotes from books all the time, even when she's in constant danger. Even when she's terrified she's thinking "This is exactly like that scene from The Hobbit!"

-She was working towards being a hot shot lawyer. Results: She's a smooth talker and knows all about the law. Maybe she's not afraid of stretching the truth a little, if it gets her what she wants.

4) Your Character Has No Background

Your character existed before your story, right? So why doesn't she have any history before the story? She should have friends, she should have classes that she's been doing great in, or ones that she failed. She should have childhood best friends that aren't friends anymore, and boys she liked in the past that don't matter now.

What is her relationship with her parents like? Has it always been good/bad? What's her favourite/least favourite childhood memory?

You don't need to tell the reader all of this, of course, that would be information overload. But you do need to know your character intimately while you're writing about her. And that includes her past.

5) Your Character's Dialogue is Awkward

I don't mean your character is awkward, because if she is, congratulations! Chances are you have a realistic character already. What I mean is that when your character is talking it sounds stiff and unnatural.

Like the following:

"Oh, hello Bob. Have you come to my house to ask me on a date?"

"Yes, Mary Sue, I have. Did you want to date me?"

"Yes please. Did you bring me chocolate?"

"No."

"Then I'm not interested in you, Bob."

A good rule is to read your dialogue out loud, if it sounds stiff and strange when you say it out loud, chances are it's not great dialogue. A few common mistakes are things like:

a) Constantly having your characters address one another by name.

Listen to real conversations and see how much that actually happens. It's rare.

b) Making your characters speak without contractions.

IE: "Oh Hello Bob, I like your suit today. It is very handsome on you."verses, "Wow, nice suit. It's handsome on you."

Think about it, do you say "it is" when you talk, or "it's"?

Tip: Sometimes your character might seem flat because you've just started writing a story and you don't really know her yet. Try this exercise before you start your story: Write a letter/diary entry/email from your main character. Make sure she is feeling some emotion. She's sad, or really happy or angry about a situation. How does she react? What does she think and say?

The Word Nerds are having a live chat THIS sunday (on Youtube) about writing better and more realistic characters! If you have any questions for us, please comment below and start your comment with "dear word nerds". 

If you start off with "dear word nerds" I will quote you in the live chat on sunday.

Happy writing, everyone!