Chapter 5 - Dinner

Another chapter written before the others.... STILL NOT RANDOM!!! :D ENJOY!

_____________________________________________________________

Chapter 5 - Dinner

Servant after servant entered the room, at least two dozen, each carrying a different dish on a large serving platter. The dishes were huge and Alicia was wondering how in the world just the two of them would be able to even make a dent in the vast amount of food. But the size of the dishes was explained moments later when, after setting their respective platters down, each servant took a seat at obviously assigned places, though Alicia couldn’t discern any pattern to their seating arrangement.

The last person to enter was Evan, carrying a platter with a savory-looking dish that smelled a bit like mac and cheese. It did look cheesy, but underneath it wasn’t pasta, but fish. The servants had begun chattering with each other, but when the caretaker tapped his glass with his spoon, all noise ceased.

“Thank you all for helping to create this succulent feast. I’m sure we will all find ourselves satisfied. Let us say grace before we begin.”  Everyone at the table except for Alicia began to sing softly:

Thank you for this food we have,

For all the things that make us glad.

We thank you for Mother Nature’s grace,

For the sunlight on our face.

Thank you for the lives we lead,

For giving us the things we need.

Amen.

“And now we eat.” And they all pulled their chairs closer to the table, reaching for the plates of food, getting ready to pass them around, to make sure that everyone could sample some of everything.

Alicia loaded her plate and began to taste the variety of foods. She couldn’t believe anything could taste so good. As she ate she listened in on various conversations held around her by the servants, not feeling enough at ease to talk to anyone herself.

“…yeah, I can’t believe he made it either! I keep asking him, but he never would make it for me, no way.” Said a tall, dark haired girl with soft-looking skin and almond shaped hazel eyes.

“Of course not, Lily, it’s really hard to make and he only ever makes it for special occasions anyway, and anyway, he won’t even let anyone help him with it because he’s concerned about one of us getting it wrong. Ugh, Evan can be such a perfectionist sometimes…” the girl sitting on the other side of Lily had red hair held back with a wreath of elegant flowers and was motioning forcefully at the cheesy fish dish as she spoke.

On the other side of her, the caretaker and a boy looking even younger than Evan with short-cropped blond hair were talking about various animals the boy had cared for that day.

“Yeah, the freshwater seals were very particular about their fish today, they wouldn’t eat the trout, but insisted on the herring. I swear, they are getting more and more picky every day.” But he said it with a smile on his squareish face, his green eyes twinkling with suppressed laughter.

“How were the fauns doing?” asked the caretaker.

“Well, much better than yesterday. Their coughs are going away now and they actually drank some milk today. They also were playing around with each other; trying to knock me down on the floor when I went to give them their lunch.”

“Alicia, this is Levi,” the man had seen her watching them talk.”He is in charge of the freshwater and forest mammals. He also has a few other servants to help him.”

“Hi Alicia.” Levi held out his hand, offering to shake.

“Hello.” Alicia said shyly, taking his warm hand and giving a half-hearted handshake. She could feel herself blushing and hastily pulled away and began to sample more of the delectable dishes off of her plate.

The caretaker chuckled and resumed eating his food, though Alicia was sure he was sneaking glances at her every few seconds. She finished the food on her plate and sat back, pleasantly full. There was an air of warmth over the whole room as, one by one, people started finishing and settling back into their chairs, casually talking.

There was a feeling of laziness around the room and Alicia was getting sleepy again. She could see the sun sinking behind the forest she had seen out of her window earlier through a wide ceiling-to-floor window on the wall across from her.

She decided she liked it here; maybe she would be able to explore the grounds tomorrow. All her questions were forgotten and she closed her eyes and smiled, imagining all that she would do the next day.

____________________________

Yeah, a bit short.... but that's life....