Chapter 3 - Day One

This chapter is dedicated to AnnaPatton9 for being my first fan! YAY!

Chapter currently being edited.***

Chapter 3:

I laid on my metal bed, once again staring up at the bright lights above my head. After the examination the knot of apprehension in my stomach had pulled chokingly tight and I felt nausea rising with each breath.

The 'examination' had started out like a routine doctor's check-up (except for the 'assistance' that Lance had brought in with him when he came back; a man and woman who looked like twins, but had grey, fuzz-like hair all over their bodies and spiraling horns coming out of the sides of their heads), consisting of checking my blood pressure and pulse, my breathing and throat, my eyes and my ears. They took out the Iv and I sighed in relief

And then they took a blood sample. I had twisted and writhed, silent tears coming forth from the moment the alcohol had touched my inner elbow. When the goat-man approached with the needle and syringe Lance and the girl had to hold me still to keep him from missing the vein.

I had prayed it was over, but then I saw him approaching me yet again - with a syringe full of shimmering green liquid. I could feel my breath coming shorter and shorter, raspy sobs the only noise escaping my mouth as I struggled against the bonds holding me down, thrashing back and forth, causing the cuffs on my wrist to chaff and droplets of blood to fall from the pinprick on the inside of my left elbow to stain my pajama pants.

Lance and the goat-girl had needed to refasten the strap across my shoulders and then hold my head gently but firmly to the side as rivulets of tears traced their way down my face and to the metal below me.

I had felt the pinch at the nape of my neck and I stiffened instantly, only my sheer force of will keeping me from falling into unconsciousness. I could practically feel the liquid entering my bloodstream and gasped as the needle was pulled from my neck.

And they left me alone among my tears, just after they had cleaned up in silence broken only by my sobs and only a whispered "The Master will be in to see you shortly." from the part-leopard.

I was trying to be brave, really I was. Yet I was utterly terrified of the Tinkerer. He had kidnapped me, held me against my will and planned to do who-knew-what to my body. I shuddered in the stillness, only as much as the unforgiving bindings would allow. He had taken me away from my home, taken away my freedom. I didn't care what the leopard-man said. I could never join that twisted man. I wouldn't. Not ever.

___*****___*****___

What felt like hours later, the doors to the room were opened. Sharp, twinging pains had raced all over my skin since I had been injected with the unknown substance, but I still raised my head, twisting it in an attempt to see what was happening. A tall, hooded man in a dark cloak glided soundlessly through the door, ghost-like. A snake's voice hissed from under the hood, sending an icy feeling of malfeasance through my being.

"Alicccia Volrrrainnne."

The voice seemed to continue after he had finished speaking and only gradually faded away. "SSSSo niccce of you to join ussss." Even though I could only see the hooded part of his cloak, I couldn't ignore the feel of an ice-cold finger that felt more like scales than skin stroke my arm from shoulder to her wrist. I shuddered involuntarily.

"W-who a-a-are you?" I asked, trying to sound brave. But her voice was shaking too badly. I had a feeling I already knew who the evil presence at my bedside was, but I wanted confirmation.

"I go by many namessss my dear. Around here I am known assss the Massster. Down in your lovely valley mosssst call me the Tinkerer. But my name is more than any mere mortal daressss to ssspeak... Anyway," his voice had turned, if possible, even colder. "back to you. I believe you will do very niccccely. Yes, very ussssseful will you be to our... causssse." And with that, he left, silent as a shadow, mysterious as a wolf.